New Job 2023 Community Engagement Specialist In Oregon
|2023 Community Engagement Specialist|
2023 Community Engagement Specialist
Company : City of Oregon City
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Oregon
Under general supervision, the Community Engagement Specialist will perform a variety of professional, technical and administrative activities in support of the City Manager's communications and community engagement programs. He will coordinate volunteer efforts throughout the city, support assigned board/commission members, provide customer service and perform related duties as assigned. '
The Community Engagement Specialist is a non-exempt position and requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental and city personnel and the general public. The primary duties of this group are to improve community engagement, information sharing, and partnerships and open lines of communication. '
The list of duties is a representative sample of the work appropriate to this class and does not include all the duties or specific tasks that can be assigned to particular positions. The incumbent may perform a combination of some or all the following duties:
- Devise and coordinate community engagement and outreach activities to ensure effective communication with the public about policy, plans, and work of government.
- How can I increase the community's understanding and input on policy, projects, and programs?
- Ensure that the needs of culturally and economically diverse communities are met and work to identify and eliminate barriers to participation.
- Develop, monitor and support engagement efforts on a wide range of issues and decision points. Participate in civic discussions to monitor community conversations.
- As assigned, coordinate and support City Boards, committees and commissions, including outreach and enrollment of volunteers.
- The Citizen Involvement Committee, Neighborhood Associations and the community at large coordinate between print and digital media.
- As assigned, coordinate and manage city volunteer efforts and volunteer hours.
- Attend community meetings and events to interact with community leaders and residents to share information and resolve community concerns. '
- Represent the City of Oregon in local business, government, and community forums to develop relationships with the public. To increase opportunities for participatory decision-making in the work of the Oregon city government.
- Understand city services to be able to effectively share the information at community meetings and events.
- Working with the Communications Manager to identify opportunities to amplify the leadership and stories of experts through experience or collaborative partnerships.
- Plan and coordinate a wide variety of community special projects, events, and initiatives; prepare for city sponsored events; give presentations to local groups.
- Develop and maintain databases of contact information for all constituent groups, including internal and external audiences, and communicate with these groups regularly.
- Social media and online tools help promote community projects and engagement, and coordinate responses to online discussions. "
- On the other hand, manage and follow-up by tracking sentiment and responses.
- Then, they analyse the data and write the reports.
- How can I keep my immediate supervisor and other designated others up-to-date about work progress, including present and potential problems? Describe new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
- In a respectful and timely manner, respond to citizens' questions and comments. "
- Coordinate use of city meeting space by neighborhood associations.
- Other duties are consistent with the role and function of classification.
- Community Outreach and Programs of the Service.
- Principles, methods and practices of communication and engagement in a public agency setting.
- Public speaking techniques.
- Computer technology with regards to community input (surveys, etc.), data collection and record keeping.
- Customer service principles.
- Businesses, civic groups, and key community members are all affected.
- Applying applicable laws, rules and regulations and public administration principles.
Skills and Abilities to
- Using mass media techniques like newspaper writing, TV writing and video teaching.
- Basic graphic design abilities.
- Photography and videography skills, including production of both.'
- Plan and organize collaborative efforts..
- Computers and software are applicable.
- Communicate effectively, both in writing and in person.
- Working with all levels of employees and citizens in the city and communicating effectively with various participants involved in the projects.
- Proofread and edit program materials, utilize appropriate grammar, spelling and punctuation to prepare professional correspondence.
- As applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors and general public. Communicate, interpersonal skills?
- Present a positive image of the city, convey technical information to others, and review performance and use patience and sensitivity in dealing with angry/hostile customers.
Education, Training, and Experience
A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be a bachelor's degree in communications, public administration or related field. Any combination of training and experience which provides necessary knowledge? preferably in the public sector.
- Can I pass a criminal background check? If so, how?
- Valid driver’s license required.
Working conditions (physical and mental):
The position incumbent must be able to work in an office environment primarily engaged in sedentary activities, which requires the near visual ability to carry on conversations in person and over the phone. Requires manual and finger dexterity to write on a keyboard at an acceptable rate; operate a microcomputer and other office equipment almost constantly; and move to various department locations on an occasional basis.
This job description describes the general nature of work performed, representative duties and skills needed for acceptable performance. It is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, work steps and skills required for that role''.
The City of Oregon is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equality: People of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status and expression, sexual orientation or disability. Assistance will be gladly provided for any applicant with a sensory or non-sensory disability protected by law.