|Orthotics & Prosthetics Billing Specialist|
Orthotics & Prosthetics Billing Specialist
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Michigan
The University of Michigan Orthotics and Prosthetics Center is a large multi-disciplinary clinic dedicated to providing high quality orthotic, prosthetic, and pedorthic services for adults and children. The 30,000 square foot facility is located at 2850 S. Industrial Hwy, Ann Arbor, MI. The Orthotics and Prosthetics Center at Michigan Medicine is one of the few University based facilities in the country that offers comprehensive services and has been awarded the maximum three-year accreditation by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics.
This individual will play an important role in researching insurance eligibility, authorization and billing requirements. In addition, this individual will support the patient financial liability process, while providing the highest quality customer service. We are seeking a compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented individual who will share in the goal of creating the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits and Perks can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- Generous PTO program
- State of the art Technology and equipment
- Tremendous team support
- Perform critical and complex billing-related functions requiring analysis, evaluation and an in-depth understanding of the accounts receivable system – Daily process flow including: prescription review, benefits/eligibility analysis, appropriately completing WIP icons, communicating with clinicians, reviewing for modifiers and appropriate patient signatures
- Review and resolve insurance issues to reduce claim denials
- Obtain authorizations as required by various carriers via telephone, fax, and online systems to ensure efficient patient turnaround time
- Enter billing data into MiChart and use other electronic systems as required, such as OPIE
- Work directly with UMHS patient accounts staff to ensure charges are entered correctly and that the correct authorizations have been obtained for specific HCPC codes.
- Provide support to clinicians in researching and explaining insurance/billing information to patients.
- Provide quality customer service – directly answer/respond to patient financial insurance questions
- Provide patient counseling regarding estimated out of pocket financial liability (coinsurance, deductibles, etc.) and coordinate patient payments
- Complete monthly WIP review meetings with assigned clinicians to ensure all active patients are processed timely to reduce delays
- Interact regularly with patients, physicians, O&P clinicians, and payors
- 3- 5 years of billing/insurance experience- extensive knowledge of billing requirements and practices of various insurance carriers including but not limited to: auto, worker’s compensations, private health, and others such as Tricare, Medicare and Medicaid.
- Expertise in utilizing payer portals/websites (eligibility and benefits).
- Excellent written (legible), verbal and face-to-face communication skills, including ability to effectively explain relevant insurance information to patients, as well as communicate with insurance plans and internal customers. Proper phone etiquette.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented environment; professional and friendly demeanor.
- Good organizational and time management skills to effectively juggle multiple priorities and time constraints.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Ability to handle patient and organizational information in a confidential manner.
- Four-year degree in Business Administration or related field.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, preferably in the field of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation and DME/Orthotics and Prosthetics.
- Familiarity with Epic and OPIE systems.
Monday through Friday, 8AM - 5PM [Hybrid of Remote and On-site Work]
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.
Job Opening ID
Orthotics & Prosthetics Billing Specialist
Sr Bill Clk/Pat Acct Rep Hlth
Michigan Medicine - Health Sys
Ann Arbor, MI
MM Orthotics&Prosthetics Ctr
Posting Begin/End Date
2/02/2023 - 2/23/2023