|Investigative Crime Analyst (Crime Analyst)|
Investigative Crime Analyst (Crime Analyst)
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $67,205 - $96,762 a year
Location : Oregon
The City of Portland is seeking multiple Investigative Crime Analysts to join the Portland Police Bureau!
About the position:
These positions will be responsible for providing analytical support for criminal investigations and compiling, maintaining, analyzing, and integrating crime and other related data and information for the Detective Division. The analyst will be asked to provide analysis to support investigators with cases and strategic crime reduction efforts which may include call data record analysis, network analysis, link analysis, and temporal analysis. The analyst may also be required to testify to any analysis work done in assistance of Detective Division on a case.
What you’ll get to do:
- Provide analytical support for investigations of criminal activity including link charting, flow charting, event charting, phone toll analysis, or other forms of investigative analysis.
- Develop, use, and maintain datasets in support of crime analysis and reporting; audit and maintain quality control of crime analysis data through accurate data documentation.
- Evaluate, organize, and analyze data and information in ongoing criminal investigations to aid investigators by utilizing specialized computer hardware and software.
- Prepares analytical reports and recommend investigative direction. Prepare requisite crime analysis reports as requested including link analysis charts, network analysis charts, timelines, call data record maps, and crime bulletins.
- Present report, results, and recommendations to investigators, command staff, partner agencies, trial, and/or advisory community groups.
- Assists in the identification of suspects and case clearance by identifying, studying, and analyzing various patterns of criminal activity.
As a person you are:
- Excellent Communicator: You are a strong communicator to technical and non-technical individuals and who is proficient verbally and in writing.
- Organized: You can work on a multitude of tasks and understand/react to various situations in a fast-paced work environment.
- Detail Oriented: You have a strong attention to detail and can ensure productivity and accuracy.
- Passionate: You have a passion for analysis and are excited to bring your knowledge and skillset to public safety
Please state in your resume or answers to the supplemental questions if you have the following desired qualifications. (Please note, these are not required but will be helpful.)
- Experience with crime analysis and investigative support is desired.
- Other transferable experience could include experience utilizing analysis software but within another industry.
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions- driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The City of Portland also participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For more information on the City of Portland's benefits please click here.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of October 18, 2021, all City employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This is required for all positions at the City of Portland. Proof of being fully vaccinated is required by date of hire. You may request an exception, for health or religious reasons, from getting the COVID-19 vaccine at the time a position is offered.
Applicants must s p ecifically address and demonstrate in their supplemental question responses and resume how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Knowledge of crime analysis data sources and software such as law enforcement specific databases, open source data, Call Data Records analysis software, link and network analysis software, and presentation software.
- Experience identifying, collecting, analyzing, and interpreting complex qualitative and quantitative data from multiple sources.
- Experience utilizing investigative & intelligence techniques to identify investigative leads, suspects, crime patterns, and modus operandi.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, problem-solve, and take initiative within established procedures and guidelines while exercising discretion in confidential and sensitive matters.
- Experience communicating clearly, logically, and persuasively, both verbally and in writing including communicating complex analytical topics to non-technical audiences for example testifying in criminal or civil proceedings.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
Applicant must also:
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City/State mandate or have an approved exception by date of hire.
- Pass an in-depth background investigation.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment ma y be used to fill future vacancies**
Job Posting closes: 12/5/2022
Applications Reviewed: 11/28/22 - 12/5/22
Eligible List / Notices Generated: Week of 12/5/22
1st Round of Interviews: Mid-December
Contingent Offer: Late-December / January
Start Date: Dependent upon length of background
- Timeline is approximate and subject to change
Applicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis: Please note per the Oregon State Pay Equity Law your salary is determined based on the experience and education listed in your resume/application. It is strongly encouraged to include any transferable experience (paid or unpaid regardless of how recent) to ensure your offer is reflective of all directly related and equivalent experience.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested . E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Language Pay Differential: City of Portland employees who speak one or more languages in addition to English, may be eligible to receive a “language pay differential.” This is compensation for qualifying multilingual City employees who use their language skill to assist the community. More about the language pay differential can be found here.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review tips and tricks when applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclass
Tamela Ressler, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer