Company : Bering Straits Native Corporation (BSNC)
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Alaska
Bering Straits Development Company, a subsidiary of Bering Straits Native Corporation is currently seeking a qualified Laborer in Nome, AK. This position will perform construction tasks at various locations in Nome. This may also include travel within the region. This position will be a Seasonal Full-Time position, not to exceed 6 months.Responsibilities:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Essential Duties and Responsibilities are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed for this position, and are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job. Other duties may be assigned.
- This postion is currently to re-finish the BSNC buidling and other minor operations work as necessary for the business needs of BSDC
- Operate hand and power tools of all types; air hammers, earth tampers, pumps, power saws, pressure washers, fork lift, small mechanical hoists, and a variety of other equipment and instructions.
- Preform laborer work on private and commercial buildings.
- Demolition existing walls and ceiling in private and commercial buildings.
- Patch and repair surfaces in preparation for floor coverings.
- Haul demo materials to dumpster.
- Unload materials and store efficiently onsite.
- Maintain a clean safe job site.
- Keep work areas supplied with materials and clear of construction debris.
- Assist other craft workers
QUALIFICATIONS - EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required (Minimum) Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent General Educational Development (GED) certificate.
- Previous construction experience preferred. Injury exposure could be severe cuts and bruises; considerable physical effort of hands and arms required.
- Work in overhead structures and around and beneath structures.
- Tool Belt, Hammer, Screw drivers, nail puller, steel toe boot or shoe
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of acceptable construction site practices including occupational safety and health regulations.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with internal co-workers.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Determine the kind of tools and equipment needed to complete each task assigned.
- Must be comfortable with high intensity work.
- Alaska Drivers License
- This position is subject to federal or company requirements regarding COVID-19 vaccination or regular testing. Details to be provided by the hiring manager. Employees are expected to comply with all current and future federal and company requirements.
DOT COVERED/SAFETY-SENSITIVE ROLE REQUIREMENTS
- This position is not subject to federal requirements regarding Department of Transportation “safety-sensitive” functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the ability to maneuver around and construction sites, see, hear, and verbally communicate with co-workers and clients. Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, walking or standing, lifting, pushing, pulling, twisting, throwing, reaching, squatting, stretching, bending for prolonged periods of time; at times lift and carry as much at 45 pounds; near visual acuity to review written documentation; ability to hear and understand speech at normal room levels.
Work Environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be borne by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Job is performed on construction sites.
- No supervisory responsibilities.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFYING FACTORS
As a condition of employment, may be required to pass a pre-employment drug screening, as well as have acceptable reference and background check results to obtain access to military base. Must have reliable transportation to/from work a necessity and must be able to obtain access to military installations. Steel toed boots required. Reliable transportation a necessity
Shareholder Preference. BSNC gives hiring, promotion, training and retention preference to BSNC shareholders, shareholder descendants and shareholder spouses who meet the minimum qualifications for the job.
Bering Straits Native Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We participate in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program. We are a drug free workplace.