New Job Newsperson, State Government & Politics In Utah
|Newsperson, State Government & Politics|
Newsperson, State Government & Politics
Company : The Associated Press
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Utah
Date: Oct 29, 2021
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, US, 84101
Company: Associated Press
The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks an enterprising reporter with a proven track record of developing sources and breaking stories to cover state government and politics as a newsperson in Salt Lake City.
Reporting to the Rocky Mountains news editor, this newsperson will seek to consistently break news and produce distinct, deeply reported enterprise about state government and politics in Utah, along with stories about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who is comfortable with data sets and freedom of information requests, knows how to build a story from the local level and frame it for broader audiences, and can generate ideas that resonate in Utah, the U.S. and around the world. This newsperson will be comfortable working in multiple media formats, from the field and from the desk, reporting on breaking news as well as beat-driven enterprise. The successful candidate should be skilled at using social media for breaking news and development of sources. This newsperson must have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- have a demonstrated history of success as a beat reporter on state government, with a record of creating and delivering compelling work on deadline that is illuminating and entertaining.
- work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot news and enterprise coverage of Utah that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate and drive stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
This newsperson must have demonstrated excellence as a journalist, with a deep record of delivering exclusive and distinctive spot news and enterprise stories on a complex and challenging beat. Applicants must be able to explain complex stories in clear and compelling ways and do so swiftly and accurately on tight deadlines. The successful candidate must be able to work effectively as a member of a team and should have at least two years of full-time experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English. Professional competency in Spanish is a plus.
- Basic proficiency in using an iPhone for photos and video is required. Advanced proficiency is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on complex, challenging story lines.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 28, 2021 @ 11:59 PM ET
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.