New job FINANCIAL SYSTEMS SPECIALIST in Maine
|FINANCIAL SYSTEMS SPECIALIST|
FINANCIAL SYSTEMS SPECIALIST
Company : US Defense Finance and Accounting Service
Salary : $92,143 - $119,787 a year
Location : Maine
Who may apply: This announcement is open to current, permanent DFAS employees in the competitive service, Eligible DoD PPP Military Spouse preference applicants and current DFAS VRA employees.
Position is located in the: Info & Tech Directorate, Assessment Analysis & Assignment, Portfolio Management (ZTFAC)
- Provides expert financial management and systems, advisory and consultative services with regards to the planning, programming, and budgeting of defense business systems.
- Interprets higher level guidance; plan, assess, and analyze Department of Defense (DoD) business systems and migratory systems/subsystems.
- Develops milestones and plans to complete business management projects. Monitors/reviews progress.
- Assesses the integration of new technology and means of improving productivity/efficiency of IT systems. Prepares operating instructions for developing and facilitating systems interfaces.
- Ensures systems designs provide for the integrity of financial records and provide data and reporting capacities for preparation and submission of documentation required by the Federal Managers Financial Integrity Act for all assigned systems.
- Analyzes audit reports, management reports and other system indicators to develop areas for future systems redesign. Directs analysis of enterprise system accomplishment and resource utilization.
- Develops, interprets, and revises accounting and finance systems policies and procedures. Conducts independent studies of complex and diversified information, accounting, and/or financial systems or system components.
- Provides policy interpretations and functional recommendations on system structure.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
0501 Financial Administration And Program
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S Citizen or National
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for Federal employment
- Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service.
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- Time in Grade Requirement - see the Qualifications field below for more details.
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
- Pursuant to the Executive Order on Requiring COVID 19 Vaccination for Federal Employees, new DoD civilian employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID 19 prior to entry on duty, subject to such exceptions as required by law.
- More details regarding vaccine requirements can be found at https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/faq/vaccinations/. Selected candidates will receive further information during the job offer process.
QualificationsBasic Requirement: Applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating the following competencies appropriate to, or above, the level of this position. For vacancies below the full-performance level of the position, the basic requirement will be evaluated on a developmental basis. Your resume and work experience should clearly support your ability to meet these competencies and will be evaluated as part of the entire application process.
- Attention to Detail - experience reviewing my own information technology-related work or data and have been asked by others to review their work or data to ensure accuracy, completeness, and consistency with standards.
- Customer Service - experience maintaining relationships with customers, assessing current information technology needs of customers, and developing or identifying information technology products and services that are tailored to meet customer needs.
- Oral Communication - briefing mid-level management and IT staff on the status of information technology systems, projects, or daily operations, including the communication of technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Problem Solving - identifying alternatives to address complex information technology-related issues by gathering and applying information from a variety of sources that provide a number of potential solutions.
Specialized experience is described as: Experience providing support in the planning, budgeting, and execution reporting for financial/accounting systems; applying new regulatory requirements and advising on financial system policies and procedures; performing extensive business process analysis through evaluation of financial systems, policies, procedures, and regulations. Compiling, analyzing, and evaluating budget artifacts for financial management systems to ensure their accuracy and alignment to IT strategy.
Time-in-Grade: Current or former federal employees who have held a GS position in the preceding 52 weeks, must meet the time in grade requirement. Applicant must have served 52 weeks as a GS-12 or higher grade in Federal Service.
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience at this grade level.
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
- Moving expenses WILL NOT be paid.
- The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 makes certain reimbursements/payments taxable. For information on these changes and the Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA), for which some appointees are eligible, click here.
- For positions where relocation is paid (see Location block of vacancy announcement), you can learn more about relocation allowances and entitlements.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is occasional.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives)
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 2 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 2 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at http://www.dfas.mil/dam/dfas/careers/pdf/DoDFMCertificationProgram.pdf.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.
All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated based upon information you provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If a determination is made that the work experience described in your submitted resume does not support your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire, your score may be reduced, and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are already a DFAS employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including removal from Federal service, if you are found to have exaggerated, embellished, inflated, mischaracterized, or falsified your resume or qualifications.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Concepts, Policies, and Principles of Finance
- Decision Support
- Program/Project Management
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11254928
DFAS recognizes the value of competencies gained through formal education and professional certifications. To ensure that consistent credit is given for these credentials in the selection process, DFAS has developed standard selection criteria to be used when filling positions in professional and administrative series. Selections for professional and administrative positions will be based on four categories of selection criteria: Experience, Other, Education, and Certifications.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Resume: You are encouraged to choose only ONE method of submitting your resume. (HR will review the resume that the system date stamps as the latest one received and this may not be the resume, which best reflects your qualifications for the job and may result in an ineligible rating.) You may submit your resume by: attaching in your USAJOBS account. For assistance in preparing your resume, take a look at the DFAS Resume Tools.
2. Complete Assessment Questionnaire: Your resume must describe the quality of work in regards to responses to the occupational self-assessment questionnaire as they generate your numerical rating.
3. Other Supporting Documents.
The following supporting documents are ONLY required if applicable to your personal qualifications or status. They must be received by the closing date of the announcement.
1. Transcripts and/or Certifications: You must submit documentation if you are substituting education for experience. For additional information on acceptable documents or to see if you must submit documentation click here Transcripts and Certifications. You must also document your education and/or certifications in your resume.
2. SF-50: With the exception of current permanent DFAS employees, current or former federal employees must submit a Notification of Personnel Action reflecting the highest grade held on a permanent basis, tenure and appointment type.
3. Veterans Documentation: Click to review these authorities and documents verifying eligibility for a VEOA, VRA and/or 30% or more disabled veterans hiring authorities.
4.Military Spouses: Spousal Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, marriage certificate/license and the Self-Certification form are required to claim Military Spouse Preference.
5. ICTAP Eligibles: A copy of the RIF separation notice and SF-50 if available.
6. Other Special Hiring Authorities: Click here to review these authorities and the documentation you are required to submit.
7. You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or eligibility.
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by 11:59 PM (EST)
10/15/2021, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
Internal to an agency
Current federal employees of this agency.
Clarification from the agency
This announcement is open to current, permanent DFAS employees in the competitive service, Eligible DoD PPP Military Spouse preference applicants and current DFAS VRA employees.