New job EVIDENCE CUSTODIAN in Utah
Company : City of West Jordan
Salary : $18.77 - $26.73 an hour
Location : Utah
CITY OF WEST JORDAN
8000 Redwood Road, West Jordan, Utah 84088
Opening Date: October 7, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled
Hourly Range: $18.77 - $26.73 Status: Full-time, Non-exempt
The statements and information in this document are neither intended to nor
do they create contractual or other rights on behalf of any person hired by the
Under general supervision, to perform a variety of duties related to the preservation and
storage of property and evidence; and to ensure that property and evidence are maintained as
prescribed by State and Federal law. This position is a merit employee position that has the
protections found in Utah Code §10-3-1105(1)(a).
II. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
III. ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Receive, sort, and secure all property delivered to the evidence room; verify
- Maintain the security and integrity of the evidence room; preserve the critical chain
- Determine appropriate and lawful disposition of property; release property to
public auctions; maintain an accurate accounting of all property transfers and
- Conduct periodic audits of property inventory; correspond with officers and the
- Take fingerprint impressions of customers for various background and application
- Sort items to be destroyed; ensure items are destroyed and documentation is
- Handle monies submitted into evidence, safe keeping, or found property.
- Inspect evidence room inventory and ensure compliance with State and Federal
- Coordinate and arrange for the delivery and processing of property and evidence to
- Maintain records and files related to area of assignment; prepare reports as necessary
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
IV. JOB RELATED AND ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
A. Knowledge of:
- Principles, practices, methods, and techniques of maintaining and processing
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations including
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices in evidence collection and
- Principles and practices used in dealing with the public.
- Modern office procedures, methods, and computer equipment.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Safe driving principles and practices.
B. Skill with:
- Operating modern office equipment including computer equipment and
- Operating photographic equipment.
- Operating a motor vehicle safely.
C. Ability to:
- Collect, preserve, label, catalog and store evidentiary items for presentation in
- Interpret and apply Federal, State and local policies, procedures, laws and
- Present testimony in court as necessary.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and complete records.
- Prepare clear and concise reports.
- Meet and deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Plan and organize work to meet schedules and deadlines.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information and data.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships
V. Minimum Qualifications:
- Two years of responsible clerical and/or technical experience in law
B. Education and/or Training:
- High school diploma or GED.
C. License or Certificate:
- Valid Utah Driver’s License.
D. Special Requirements:
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
Work in a standard office environment which includes reaching, bending, sitting, standing,
talking, hearing, listening, and lifting up to 20 lbs.; exposure to outdoors, chemicals, and
explosive materials; ability to travel to different sites and locations.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants must complete and submit a City application and resume to Human
Resources through the website at www.westjordan.utah.gov. This position is open until filled
with first review on October 21, 2021. EOE.