New job Corrections Library Assistant (SCI Mahanoy) in Pennsylvania
|Corrections Library Assistant (SCI Mahanoy)|
Corrections Library Assistant (SCI Mahanoy)
Company : Commonwealth of PA
Salary : $36,851 - $52,773 a year
Location : Pennsylvania
Start the next chapter of your Career! The Pennsylvania Department of Corrections is actively seeking a dedicated and knowledgeable Corrections Library Assistant. As a Corrections Library Assistant, you will be responsible for monitoring and supporting the daily operations of the Library at the State Correctional Institution at Mahanoy.
The Library Assistant supervises all operations of an institutional library in the absence of the Librarian, creating and maintaining a clean and safe environment that promotes reading and learning for inmates.
Job duties entail overseeing inmate work crews and completing inmate attendance and progress reports; answering questions from the inmate population and institutional staff pertaining to library resources and programs; completing daily call-outs for inmates; maintaining accountability for inmates by ensuring appropriate discipline and security guidelines are met. This position replies to inmate correspondence and processes the library mail; keeps all library equipment in proper functioning order; verifies and maintains the denied publication list; visits the Restricted Housing Unit so that inmates have access to a circulation and inventory of books and meets their reasonable requests for reading material. The Corrections Library Assistant also assists the Librarian in training, scheduling, hiring and terminating inmate library personnel.
If you have the required experience as indicated below, and wish to explore a rewarding career that offers the opportunity to share your skills while earning a great salary and benefits, the PA Department of Corrections wants to hear from you!
Full-time employment - 37.5 hour work week
- Work Hours: Sunday & Monday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm; Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 12:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- This position is eligible for full retirement benefits at age 50 or 55.
- This position is subject to the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement.
If you are selected for hire and you are not a current Commonwealth employee, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the start of your employment. You are considered to be fully vaccinated two weeks after your second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., the Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines) or two weeks after receiving a one-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., the Johnson & Johnson vaccine). If you are not fully vaccinated prior to the start of your employment, or you have not received an accommodation exempting you from the Commonwealth’s vaccination policy based on a medical or religious reason, your job offer will be rescinded.
If you are selected for hire and you are a current Commonwealth employee, this position requires you to be either fully vaccinated prior to starting in this position OR undergo weekly testing for COVID-19. Unless you have received an accommodation exempting you from the Commonwealth’s vaccination policy based on a medical or religious reason, if you are not fully vaccinated prior to starting in this position and you refuse to undergo weekly COVID-19 testing, your job offer will be rescinded.
Minimum Experience and Training Requirements - Two years of clerical experience; OR an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Must meet PA residency requirement – For more information on ways to meet PA residency requirements, follow the link and click on Residency
- Do not submit resumes, cover letters, and similar documents. These documents will not be reviewed and the information contained therein will not be considered for the purposes of determining your eligibility for the position or to determine your score. Information to support your eligibility for the position must be provided on the application (i.e., relevant, detailed experience/education).
- If you are claiming education in your answers to the supplemental application questions, you must attach a copy of your college transcripts for your claim to be accepted toward meeting the minimum requirements. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Must be able to perform essential job functions.
- A conditional offer of employment will require submission of criminal history reports. See hiring agency contact information
- You must pass a background investigation
Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS): 711 (hearing and speech disabilities or other individuals)
The Commonwealth is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. The Commonwealth values inclusion as we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most qualified people to serve the citizens of Pennsylvania. The Commonwealth does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, union membership, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, AIDS or HIV status, disability, or any other categories protected by applicable federal or state law. All diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Completing the application, including all supplemental questions, serves as your exam for this position. No additional exam is required at a test center (also referred to as a written exam).
- Your score is based on the detailed information you provide on your application and in response to the supplemental questions.
- Your score is valid for this specific posting only.
You must provide complete and accurate information or:
- your score may be lower than deserved.
- you may be disqualified.
- You may only apply/test once for this posting.
- Your results will be provided via email.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including health coverage, vision, dental, and wellness programs.*
We understand that there is more to life than work – and we want you to enjoy it!
For most positions, we offer paid vacation days, paid sick days, military leave, as well as paid time off for most major U.S. holidays. Alternate work schedules are available for certain positions.
We want to help you grow and see your goals become a reality! Supervisors and human resource staff are available to help employees create a plan to develop skills for their current jobs or prepare for the next step in their careers. Employees can easily transfer between positions or agencies to expand knowledge and pursue new challenges while retaining leave and benefits. Additionally, there are a variety of programs available to help get you where you need to be.
Commonwealth employees enjoy many other rewards, including opportunities for recognition, workplace charitable giving, and even special employee-only discounts.
For more information about benefits, health and wellness, work-life balance, career development, and other rewards go to www.employment.pa.gov and click on the benefits box.
- Eligibility rules apply.