New job Teacher (Elementary) in North Dakota
Company : US Bureau of Indian Education
Salary : $29.92 - $61.15 an hour
Location : North Dakota
This position is part of the Dunseith Day School, Bureau of Indian Education. As a Teacher (Elementary) you will be responsible for serving as a Special Education teacher in a BIE school on or near the Reservation. The instruction area(s) will normally be general elementary subjects in a lower elementary setting.
As a Teacher (Elementary) CY-1710-11, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Prepare yearly instructional outlines and related daily lesson plans covering relevant units of study and specifying objectives, activities and evaluative methods/instruments for both group and individual instructional programs.
- Teach students by selecting, developing, adapting and implementing appropriate instructional methods and techniques utilizing available resources to provide for academic achievement.
- Continuously evaluate individual and group academic progress through the use of criterion-referenced tests, periodic standardized tests, oral tests, and/or other relevant evaluative methods/instruments.
- Develop and conduct instruction within an environment that provides and promotes opportunities for the students to develop rapport, inter-relationships, self-discipline and a positive self-image.
- Maintain control of assigned class(es) and handle discipline independently except for chronic or extreme behavior problems.
- Supervise assigned students as scheduled, or provide for their supervision, throughout the academic day and/or activity in order to provide for the safety, health, and welfare of the students in compliance with school, Agency, and Area Guidelines.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
1710 Education And Vocational Training
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation for Public Trust position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a background clearance.
- Must be certified by a state's Department of Education. Emergency, provisional or conditional certificates may be accepted under the conditions they are issued by the State teacher licensure department.
- Must obtain and maintain a Teacher Certification related to the instructional area identified on this announcement.
- Must obtain and maintain valid state driver's license.
QualificationsWho May Apply:
- Applicants with Indian Preference
- All U.S. Citizens
Qualifications: In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements contained in the approved job category for P.L. 95-561 described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Basic Education Requirement for Pay Level 11-17: Possess a Bachelor's Degree (or higher) from an accredited education institution. You must have at least 24 semester hours (or the equivalent) of course work in special education that includes at least on course covering the teaching of exceptional student and courses in the appropriate field(s) of specialization. All professional educators must meet the certification standards for the position in the State where the position is located. Emergency and provisional certificates may be accepted under the conditions they are issued by the State certification authority.
Pay Level Requirements: To qualify for a pay level, you must have completed the degree requirement and if stated the required semester hours at the next level of education from an accredited university in a related field of study.
Pay Level 11 requires a Bachelor's Degree
Pay Level 12 requires a Bachelor's Degree and fifteen semester hours towards a Master's Degree
Pay Level 13 requires a Bachelor's Degree and thirty semester hours towards a Master's Degree
Pay Level 14 requires a Master's Degree
Pay Level 15 requires a Master's Degree and fifteen semester hours towards a Doctorate
Pay Level 16 requires a Master's Degree and thirty semester hours towards a Doctorate
Pay Level 17 requires a earned Doctorate
Pay tables for Bureau of Indian Education Title 25 positions can be found at https://www.bie.edu/topic-page/education-pay-table-archives
Basis of Rating: All applicants for this position will be rated and ranked based upon the extent and quality of their experience, training and/or education as reflected in the assessment questionnaire. Applicants will be further evaluated according to the degree to which they possess or have the potential to acquire knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal characteristics as listed below. The judgment of qualifications will be based on the material submitted; therefore, it is to the applicant's advantage to give complete and thorough responses and to present information in a neat and orderly fashion. Qualifications and Indian preference eligibility will be determined on the basis of information submitted.
To meet the education requirements, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Official transcripts are required upon selection.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications.
For further information on creditable education visit: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- U.S. Citizenship is required. You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Direct Deposit of pay is required.
- Tour of Duty: Full-time
- FLSA: Exempt
- Bargaining Unit: Yes
- Contract Length: School Year
- May require overtime work.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Position has a positive education requirement.
- One academic year (equivalent to two academic semesters) probationary period may be required.
- The Bureau of Indian Education has determined that the duties of this position are not suitable for telework under any circumstances.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- Travel and Relocation expense may be paid.
- Staffing Differential is not authorized.
- Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) will not be authorized.
- Government quarters are not available.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- All selections under an announcement must be made within 3 months from the issuance date of the certificate referral list.
- Applications will only be accepted online
The Investigative Process for Public Trust Positions: Background investigations for public trust positions are conducted to gather information to determine whether applicants are reliable, trustworthy, of good conduct and character, and loyal to the U.S. The information that provided on the Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions (SF-85P) and the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF 306) may be confirmed during the investigation. The investigation may extend beyond the time covered by this form, when necessary to resolve issues. The applicant's current employer may be contacted as part of the investigation, although the applicant may have previously indicated on applications or other forms that the applicant did not want the current employer to be contacted. If the applicant has a security freeze on their consumer or credit report file, then the agency may not be able to complete the investigation, which can adversely affect the applicant's eligibility for a public trust position or the ability to obtain Federal or contract employment. To avoid such delays, the applicant must request that the consumer reporting agencies lift the freeze in these instances.
In addition to the questions on the SF-85P, inquiry also is made about the applicant's adherence to security requirements, the applicant honesty and integrity, falsification, misrepresentation, and any other behavior, activities, or associations that tend to demonstrate a person is not reliable, trustworthy, or loyal.
After a suitability /fitness determination is made, the applicant may also be subject to continuous vetting which may include periodic reinvestigations to ensure the employee is continuing suitability for employment.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Classroom Instruction
- Sound Classroom Management
- Standard Based Assessment
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying with Indian Preference, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc).As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply.
If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- Your resume work experience needs to reflect Position Title, Dates of Employment (include month/year), Hours worked per week, Salary, Supervisor's Name and telephone number, and Duties (please be specific and include any accomplishments).
- If your resume includes a photograph, hypertext/hyperlinks, or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Cover Letter, optional
- You MUST submit documents verifying your eligibility with your application package. These documents may include, but are not limited to:
- For Indian Preference BIA Form 4432 is required and located on the Bureau of Indian Education Website: https://www.bie.edu/topic-page/forms The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Indian Children Protection Requirements Form is required and is located on the Bureau of Indian Education Website: https://www.bie.edu/topic-page/forms
- For current employment verification; SF-50, DD-3434 or other federal agencies official "Notification of Personnel Action" equivalent (Note: SF-52 or agencies "Request for Personnel Action" is not acceptable);
- For MSP claims PCS orders and marriage certificate;
- For verification of Veteran status, DD-214 (which indicates character of service), SF-15, VA Letter and/or Activation/Deactivation orders.
- This position has an individual occupational requirement. You MUST submit a copy of your transcript and professional certification or licensure with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. Your transcripts must show the degree awarded, date conferred, and all required courses as required by the position. Please note, this may be shown with multiple transcripts. Your professional certification or licensure must reflect your name, issue date, expiration date, and endorsements.
Future Separation from the Military*: You are required to submit a copy of your most recent DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) OR certification document** OR a copy of your most recent active duty orders AND a copy of your terminal leave request (if applicable). You will be required to provide your DD Form 214(Member 4 Copy) upon issuance.
*Active duty military members who are selected may not be appointed unless on terminal leave or already separated from the armed forces.
** The "certification" is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. The Statement of Service must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters, AND the Statement of Service letter must include your rank, dates of active duty service, the Type of Discharge, Character of Service (i.e. honorable), and, if applicable, when your terminal leave will begin.
PLEASE NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents like military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for other than the applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
Native Americans or Alaskan Natives with a tribal affiliation.
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
Clarification from the agency See "Who May Apply" in the "Qualifications" section for more information on who is eligible to apply for this position.