New job GIS Analyst in Virginia
Company : City of Harrisonburg, VA
Salary : $49,379 - $56,784 a year
Location : Virginia
The GIS Analyst is a full-time position with benefits and a preferred hiring range of $23.74 - $27.30 per hour (equivalent to $49,379 - $56,784 annually). An exact salary will be dependent upon the selected candidate's qualifications and experience. The ideal candidate for this position will be able to perform skilled work within the City's GIS and have comprehensive knowledge of geographic information system theory, practice, and tools.
The GIS Analyst:
- Maintains GIS layers and base maps fundamental to the department;
- Creates, compiles, integrates, digitizes, and updates map data from many sources;
- Prepares simple to complex system models, processes, methods, and procedures;
- Works with departmental staff to develop GIS tools, including creating maps, charts, graphs, and other related information;
- Works with the GIS Administrator to develop and maintain data layers, programs, models, and system integrations relating to Community Development functions;
- Researches and conducts miscellaneous planning project assignments;
- Reads maps, interprets maps, and uses coordinate systems to position and process geographic information;
- Responds to City departments and public requests for standard or custom maps, charts, graphs, GIS analysis, GIS projects, and related information.
- Performs field work as necessary, including operating a GPS device and related surveying equipment in locating, collecting, and processing field data;
- May coordinate with other localities to ensure uniform data exchange formats.
- Undergraduate degree in geographic/information systems, engineering, or a related field with some experience in the use of geographic information systems, local government applications, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid driver's license, required.
- Some experience supervising or leading the work of others, preferred.
- Certified Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP), preferred.
- Spatial analysis and presentation using desktop and web-based applications;
- GIS programming, analysis, and design techniques;
- Data gathering and management techniques;
- Administrative, project, and resource management;
- Quantitative research methods.
- Prepare and maintain computer-generated maps using appropriate procedures;
- Maintain maps and other information accurately and systematically, and to retrieve and use information;
- Conduct research and field work pertaining to mapping and geographic information projects;
- Develop City and mission-specific applications and uses for available GIS technology;
- Troubleshoot various GIS application and mapping issues;
- Provide technical support to coworkers and the public related to GIS applications, mapping, and analysis;
- Organize materials;
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with the general public, outside governmental agencies, and vendors and their representatives.
Application Deadline: All candidates must submit a complete City of Harrisonburg online employment application by 5:00pm EST on June 30, 2021 in order to be considered. All fields must be completed on the application, to include work experience, duties and education. Resumes may be attached to your online application as supplemental information only. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & ICMA-RC), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.