New job Journey Transportation Technician in South Dakota
Journey Transportation Technician
Company : South Dakota State Government
Salary : $18.36 - $21.58 an hour
Location : South Dakota
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Operations
Salary: $18.36 - $21.58 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: GG
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information about the Department of Transportation, please visit http://dot.sd.gov.
This position performs technical engineering support and construction trade's related work. Duties may include, but are not limited to inspecting Portland cement concrete paving; collecting and testing Portland cement concrete samples; inspecting and observing Portland cement concrete plant inspections; collecting and testing samples for asphalt plant quality control/quality assurance; inspecting asphalt paving; monitoring grading operations; collecting and testing aggregate and soil samples; inspecting pipe materials and installation; inspecting erosion and sediment control; inspecting structures and materials; setting up and collecting survey data; inspecting temporary traffic control through and around work zones; and completing various records and reports.
A valid driver's license is required.
A typical 40-hour workweek Monday through Friday, although hours may vary during construction activity including weekends.
Work assignments are frequently performed outside in all weather conditions and around highway traffic.
Certification in one or more materials testing areas and/or one or more inspection areas is required within the first year of employment. Further certification areas will be determined by the supervisor according to job responsibility and needs. Required certifications must be maintained for continued employment. Classes and training in the certification areas are provided through the Department of Transportation.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
The preferred candidate must have highway construction experience or highway construction testing/inspecting experience.
A technical degree in civil engineering technology, engineering/architectural drafting and/or experience in transportation related construction or surveying is also preferred.
- civil engineering techniques (preferred but not required);
- elementary physical, mechanical and earth science principles (preferred but not required);
- various types of engineering survey equipment (preferred but not required).
- operate computers and use Microsoft software;
- use a calculator and accurately perform basic mathematical functions.
- display high standards of ethical conduct;
- treat customers courteously and be responsive to their needs;
- work cooperatively with others and promote a friendly work climate in order to achieve shared goals;
- display a high level of effort and commitment towards completing assignments and goals;
- attend to details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately and thoroughly;
- safely move, drag, lift 35 pounds frequently, up to 60 pounds occasionally (without assistance), and 90 or more pounds infrequently (with assistance);
- walk, sit and stand for extended periods of time;
- routinely reach, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
NCRC: If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. An NCRC is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information visit https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Apply at: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=DSG
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"