New job AST - Experimental Facilities Techniques in Mississippi
AST - Experimental Facilities Techniques
Company : US National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Salary : $64,649 - $119,787 a year
Location : Mississippi
The Center Operations Directorate Facility Services Branch at NASA Stennis Space Center is seeking applicants to serve as an Engineer. Duties include contractor oversite of operation and maintenance of systems, facilities and equipment; development and improvement of procedures, techniques, and methods of equipment operations; design of facility modifications; oversight, planning and, development of system and facility modifications for renewal to include construction.
- Perform the screening and selection of proposed projects. Provide direction and monitor contractor operations, which includes conducting evaluations of work performed.
- Support the management of facilities maintenance objectives, construction activities, standards, and requirements in accordance with Stennis Center policies, objectives, and NASA agency Policy Directives. Plan and organize work.
- Participate in the design of facility modifications to meet changing requirements. Support safety objectives and environmental requirements within facilities and all locations on site.
- Track and manage major activities for site wide infrastructure, systems and facilities; including preventative maintenance, corrective maintenance, operations, and oversee construction and modification activities.
- Perform multiple functions which may include; planning, design, evaluation, cost analyses, project management, risk assessments, and quality management.
- Analyze and validate contractual performance requirements to include contractor performance surveillance and evaluation. Perform area walk downs/inspections and evaluate findings for maintenance priorities and contractor performance assessments.
- Serve as NASA?s point of contact for assigned facility tenants. Conduct special studies for systems, facilities and equipment for NASA and its partners.
- Communicate effectively across a broad range of organizational levels including managerial, supervisory, technical and contractor personnel.
- Duties described above are at the full-performance level. Duties assigned at a lower grade level will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity; duties will be commensurate with the grade of selected employee.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
0801 General Engineering
Conditions of Employment
- This position is open to U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S
- Position subject to pre-employment background investigation
- You must meet qualifications requirements by the closing date of this announcement
- If selected, you will be required to complete a financial disclosure statement
QualificationsIn addition to the basic education requirement (shown below), you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade, which has equipped you with the particular competencies needed to successfully perform the duties of the position described above.
To qualify for GS-11, you must have:
a) You must have one year of directly related specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level participating on a team of engineers to support the planning and, development of system and facility modifications for renewal to include: construction, operations and/or maintenance of capital improvement; supporting
b) Completed all requirements for a doctoral degree (i.e., Ph.D. or equivalent) in an appropriate field
c) Completed 3 full academic years of graduate education in an appropriate field
d) Have an equivalent combination of experience and graduate study as discussed in a), b) and c) above
To qualify for GS-12, you must have one year of directly related specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level working with a team of engineers for the planning and, development of system and facility modifications for renewal to include construction, operations and/or maintenance of capital improvement, facility maintenance or projects; performing operation and maintenance of systems, facilities and equipment for compliance.
To qualify for GS-13, you must have one year of directly related specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level leading, providing technical guidance to, or technical oversight of engineers for the planning and, development of system and facility modifications for renewal to include: construction, operations and/or maintenance of capital improvement, facility maintenance or projects; developing procedures, techniques, and methods of continuous monitoring of facilities, systems and equipment for compliance.
Your resume must include a clear and detailed narrative description, in your own words, of how you meet the required specialized experience. Experience statements copied from a position description, vacancy announcement or other reference material constitutes plagiarism and may result in disqualification and losing consideration for the job.
You must have successfully completed a bachelor's or graduate degree with a major in either a) engineering from a college or university that has ABET accredited engineering programs or b) Physical Science, Mathematics, Life Science, Computer Science*, or other field of physical science.
*Note: Curriculum must include 30 semester hours of course work in a combination of mathematics, statistics and computer science. Of the 30 semester hours, 15 must be in any combination of statistics and mathematics which includes differential and integral calculus.
Degrees in engineering technology are not considered qualifying for this position.
To find out if a school has an ABET accreditation, go to http://www.abet.org.
Degrees must have been received in the year of, or any year subsequent to the original date of accreditation.
Engineering degrees earned outside the United States: Engineering degrees earned outside the Unites States must be recognized by a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA), often known as accords. These are non-governmental agreements among organizations that accredit academic degree programs. MRAs recognize the substantial equivalence of mature accreditation systems and programs accredited by signatory organizations within their jurisdictions. For a listing of Signatories, please visit, https://www.abet.org/global-presence/mutual-recognition-agreements/is-your-program-recognized/.
Science and other related degrees earned within the United States: Science and other related degrees must have been awarded from colleges or universities that are accredited by recognized accrediting organizations. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, go to http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/.
Science and other related degrees earned outside the United States: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs. These education credentials must be deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Additional informationAdditional selections may be made for similar positions across NASA within the local commuting area(s) of the location(s) identified in this announcement. By applying, you agree to have your application shared with interested selecting official(s) within NASA. CTAP/ICTAP will be cleared for any additional selection from this announcement.
This position is announced under Direct Hire authority.
If you have special priority selection rights under the Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must:
- Indicate your eligibility when applying for a position. The questionnaire asks you to identify your ICTAP/CTAP eligibility.
- Meet the minimum qualifications requirements for the position
- Submit proof that you meet the requirements for CTAP/ICTAP as indicated in 'Required Documents'
For additional information about CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, click here - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/#ictap.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this position based on how well you meet the qualifications and eligibility requirements listed in this vacancy announcement. To determine your qualifications and referral status, we may review your resume and supporting documentation and compare it against your responses to the vacancy questionnaire. Overstating your qualifications and/or experience in your application materials or application questionnaire may result in your removal from consideration.
You will be assessed on the following competencies:
Facilities Engineering and Management
NASA considers paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
A complete application package includes a resume, required documents and completion of the vacancy announcement questionnaire. Please see this guidance: What to include in your resume. Your resume should describe your specialized experience and support your answers to the vacancy announcement questionnaire.
The following documents are required:
While a transcript is the preferred proof of qualifying education, you may submit any of the following items:
- An unofficial transcript
- A copy of an official transcript
- A copy of a degree (i.e. a picture or scan)
- A list of completed/credited courses that includes, the title, course code, and number of semester, quarter or classroom hours for each course (i.e., BUAD- 101-Introduction to Business, 3 Semester hours)
- If your qualifications are based on only education only, you must also provide your GPA.
There may be other supporting documents (licenses, certification, veterans preference, etc.), depending on your answers to the questionnaire and job announcement description, that you may need to submit.
If you are a surplus or displaced employee (CTAP and ICTAP), submit proof that you meet the requirements for CTAP/ICTAP. This includes copies of your agency notice, most recent Performance Rating and most recent Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) noting current position, grade level, and duty location.
If you do not submit a transcript, we will not use your education when deciding if you're qualified for the job and you will lose consideration.
Official documents are required at the time of appointment for verification of eligibility and qualifications.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.