New job SOIL CONSERVATION TECHNICIAN in South Dakota | 2021
SOIL CONSERVATION TECHNICIAN
Company : US Department of the Interior
Salary : $35,265 - $56,790 a year
Location : South Dakota
APPLICANTS WHO PREVIOUSLY APPLIED UNDER THIS ANNOUNCEMENT STIMP-21-11005982-CAWY-SR MUST RE-APPLY IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED.
This position is located with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Superintendent - Yankton Agency, Natural Resources, in Wagner, South Dakota.
TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL NOT BE AUTHORIZED. ANY RELOCATION EXPENSES ASSOCIATED WITH REPORTING FOR DUTY WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE SELECTED EMPLOYEE.
- Provides technical support for Soil and Moisture conservation programs on land that often has numerous heirs and is characterized by unusual environmental conditions.
- Attends formal conservation meetings at the local level to provide and/or gather technical information on application schedules, new programs and changes in any conservation techniques that may be taking place.
- Assist in developing lease stipulations for agricultural leases to ensure maximum income is achieved for the landowner while protecting and improving the land resource.
- Responsible for conducting and reporting on field inspections to ensure compliance with the Plan of Conservation Operations.
- Develops conservation plans for Allotments involving familiar agricultural objectives and treatments.
- Advises landowners and land users on practices that may be involved in the conservation plan that may include cross fencing, stock water development, critical area planning conservation cropping systems, shelter belts and weed and rodent control.
- Inspects and certifies construction of practices to verify compliance with design and specifications.
- Provides information on agricultural assistance available to implement conservation measures.
- Provides land descriptions for tribal members whom seek homesite and/or residential leases.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required to attend conferences, meetings, training and work related activities in isolated areas.
7 - A career ladder promotion is at the discretion of management, and in no way guaranteed.
Job family (Series)
0458 Soil Conservation Technician
- Technicians, Wildlife
- Wildlife Technicians
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (title 25, USC Section 472). Form BIA -4432 must be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference.
- You will be required to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit
- You may be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period
- A background security investigation will be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication.
- If you are a male applicant born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
- Incumbent is required to operate a government motor vehicle, must possess a valid driver's license, and have a safe driving record.
QualificationsEXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: (OPM Operating Manual, Qualification Standards for Technical and Medical Support Positions, Individual Occupational Requirements for GS-0458: Soil Conservation Technician Series). For more information visit the following websites: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0400/soil-conservation-technician-series-0458/ and http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=GS-TECH
INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATION REQUIREMENT FOR GS-0458 SERIES:
GS-7: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-6 grade level in the Federal service assisting in soil conservation measures or range management activities necessary in securing proper land use and development. Examples of qualifying specialized experience include: Installing and maintaining conservation measures on public or privately owned land including parks, shoreline, refuse waste sites, dams and reservoir areas, water and sewer sites, road embankments, forests, and wildlife habitats; and Installing and maintaining soil and water conservation measures on farms, ranches, or agricultural land
EDUCATION: 1 full year of directly related graduate education (18 semester hours, 27 quarter hours or equivalent).
GS-6: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 grade level in the Federal service assisting in soil conservation measures or range management activities necessary in securing proper land use and development. Examples of qualifying specialized experience include: Installing and maintaining conservation measures on public or privately owned land including parks, shoreline, refuse waste sites, dams and reservoir areas, water and sewer sites, road embankments, forests, and wildlife habitats; and Installing and maintaining soil and water conservation measures on farms, ranches, or agricultural land.
GS-5: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-4 grade level in the Federal service assisting in soil conservation or range activities. Examples of qualifying specialized experience include: Installing and maintaining conservation measures on public or privately owned land including parks, shoreline, refuse waste sites, dams and reservoir areas, water and sewer sites, road embankments, forests, and wildlife habitats; and Installing and maintaining soil and water conservation measures on farms, ranches, or agricultural land
EDUCATION: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree (a) with major study in forestry, range management, agriculture, or a subject-matter field directly related to the position, or (b) that included at least 24 semester hours in any combination of courses such as forestry, agriculture, crop or plant science, range management or conservation, wildlife management, watershed management, soil science, natural resources (except marine fisheries and oceanography), outdoor recreation management, civil or forest engineering, or wildland fire science. No more than 6 semester hours in mathematics is creditable.
GRADUATE EDUCATION: Graduate education must be related to the occupation and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the position to be filled.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Merit Promotion candidates must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the announcement closing date.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (title 25, USC Section 472).
Additional selections may be made from this announcement if identical vacancies occur in the same location within 90 days from the closing date.
If you are qualifying based on your education, you MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education which shows the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: FOREIGN EDUCATION
All new hires earn the beginning salary of their pay grade (Step 1). See 2021 Salary Tables here and select the duty station from the Wagner, South Dakota to choose the appropriate pay chart. If no specific chart is listed for this geographic location, see the "rest of U.S." chart.
The full performance level of this position is GS-7. Promotion potential in this announcement does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. A career ladder promotion is at the discretion of management, and in no way guaranteed.
TELEWORK: Indian Affairs has determined that the duties of the position are not suitable for telework under any circumstances.
Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp .
Certain candidates may be eligible to apply under a special hiring authority including those for disabled individuals, Peace Corps employees, Foreign Service employees, veterans, etc. For more information, visit the following OPM websites: USAJOBS Information Center: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/; Vets Info Guide: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/.
Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. Most individuals who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package will be evaluated against the minimum qualification requirements specified above. In order to qualify, your resume must specifically describe your work history and the duties you performed in each position. Your resume will be evaluated after the closing date of 04/07/2021 to determine whether you meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position. Competencies measured include:
- Applies Technology to Tasks
- Manages and Organizes Information
- Soil Science
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If the information in your resume does not support your responses to the assessment questions, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your qualifications.
Qualified Indian preference candidates will be referred to the hiring manager in order of veterans' preference.
You may preview the assessment questions here in the https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11068647.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents are required for this position:
- Resume which details work experience including dates worked (mm/yy-mm/yy), position title, Grade (if federal service), and hours worked per week.
- On-line Assessment Questionnaire
- Most recent SF-50 (if applying under merit promotion. Be sure your SF-50 displays your tenure in box 24, your position in box 34, and that the SF-50 is not an award)
- Transcripts (if using education to qualify) - Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, an official transcript may be requested at a later time.
- Veteran's documentation - (if applicable) VA letter on VA letterhead stating your overall combined rating, SF-15, DD-214 (copy 4) reflecting an honorable discharge and dates of active duty military service.
- Special Appointing Authority documentation (if applying under a special hiring authority)
- BIA Form 4432 (if claiming Indian preference)
- Performance Appraisal (if applying under the Land Management Flexibility Act)
If you are unable to apply online, require reasonable accommodation in the application process if you are an applicant with a disability, or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11:59 PM Eastern Time ON THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. If your application package is incomplete in any way, you will not be considered for this position, and requests for extensions will not be granted. Please double check your application package before you submit it.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED OR ACCEPTED BY THIS OFFICE.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
Federal employees - Competitive service
Current or former competitive service federal employees.
Federal employees - Excepted service
Current excepted service federal employees.
Individuals with disabilities
Land & base management
Certain current or former term or temporary federal employees of a land or base management agency.
Native Americans or Alaskan Natives with a tribal affiliation.
Clarification from the agency
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act of 1934 (title 25, USC Section 472). Verification form BIA -4432 must be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference. No other documents will be accepted as proof of Indian Preference.