New job ELIGIBILITY COUNSELOR 1* - 03242021-16134 in Tennessee | 2021
ELIGIBILITY COUNSELOR 1* - 03242021-16134
Company : State of Tennessee
Salary : $28,716 a year
Location : Tennessee
LOCATION OF (1) POSITION TO BE FILLED: DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES, ADULT AND FAMILY SERVICES DIVISION, DICKSON COUNTY
A detailed job description is available at the following website: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/human-services/documents/Eligibility Counselor 1 Dickson.pdf
- Complete a criminal history disclosure form in a manner approved by the appointing authority;
- Agree to release all records involving their criminal history to the appointing authority;
- Supply a fingerprint sample prescribed by the TBI based criminal history records clerk.
- An applicant appointed to this flexibly staffed class will be reclassified to the next higher class in the series after successful completion of a mandatory one-year training period; inadequate or marginal performance during the training period will result in automatic demotion or termination.
- Learns to remain up-to-date on new policies and procedures as they are implemented in order to ensure accurate eligibility determination.
- Learns to make decisions by analyzing information related to customers' eligibility to ensure appropriate policy and procedures are applied.
- Learns to calculate accurate budgets based on information provided by customers and obtained through other sources to determine eligibility.
- Learns to verify accuracy of information provided by customers during the interview process to ensure the customer receives the benefits to which they are entitled.
- Learns to compile customers' identifying information and other data and compares it against multiple sources to ensure accuracy.
- Learns to prioritize and organize daily, weekly, and monthly activities to ensure all work is completed by the established deadlines.
- Plans schedule to effectively and efficiently to complete required daily activities.
- Learns to develop a process to organize customer applications and verifications to plan for daily work.
- Learns to document information obtained during customer interactions into eligibility determination system for future reference and to support case actions.
- Learns to document required verifications, services, benefits provided, and other case-related activity using a computerized case record and/or paper case files.
- Properly stores and maintains case related documentation to ensure program integrity.
- Learns to resolve general customer concerns regarding agency programs, policies, and procedures to assist customers.
- Learns to obtain documentary evidence to support applicant information to ensure proper eligibility determination.
- Learns to interview applicants to obtain information related to their eligibility for government assistance programs.
- Learns to obtain information from various databases and other needed sources to assist in eligibility determination.
- Learns to review case documentation to develop an understanding of previous case circumstances to assist during interview process.
- Learns to interpret policy and procedure guidelines in relation to the customers' circumstances to ensure their understanding.
- Learns to explain eligibility for benefits and services, as well as ongoing responsibilities, to ensure customer understanding.
- Learns to use computer systems to enter customer information to determine eligibility and ensure customers receive proper notifications.
- Learns to enter required documents into various databases and filing systems for future retrieval.
- Learns to enter necessary information into various databases as required by current procedures.
- Learns to explain rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and benefits determinations to customers or other interested parties to ensure program availability.
- Promotes a positive image of the department by focusing on great customer service while fulfilling the Department's mission.
- Learns to assess the customers' strengths and considers the customers' goals and desired outcomes, work activities, and supportive services that will lead to self-sufficiency.
- Develops and maintains healthy working relationships with co-workers and vendors to enhance productivity and effectively serve customer needs and promote self-sufficiency.
- Learns to communicate verbally and/or electronically with outside organizations to obtain information regarding customer circumstances.
- Learns to communicate verbally and/or electronically with outside organizations or vendors to provide information regarding customer eligibility.
- Learns to develop an individualized, mutually agreed upon plan for self-sufficiency through discussion with the customer regarding their strengths, goals, and interests.
- Provides information and support to co-workers, vendors, and customers to meet their immediate and long-term needs.
- Learns to schedule necessary appointments/activities for customers with outside sources or agencies to meet program requirements and/or customer's needs.
- Communicates questions through the appropriate chain of command to obtain policy or procedural clarification.
- Communicates verbally/electronically with supervisors and/or peers in the exchange of information regarding customer eligibility to see that customer's needs are met.
- Communicates daily schedules and activities verbally/electronically with supervisors and/or peers to maintain a balanced workflow.
- Learns to identify benefits and services that might be available to customers both from the Department and from related outside sources to assist in meeting customer needs.
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Drive for Results
- Customer Focus
- Advanced knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Basic computer knowledge
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic applications
- Knowledge of basic office skills such as word processing and managing files and records
- Proficient knowledge of principles for providing customer service
- Active learning
- Active listening
- Basic computer skills
- Basic mathematical skills
- Communicating effectively, both verbal and written, as appropriate for the needs of the audience
- Critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Effective organizational skills
- Proficient customer service skills
- Proficient keyboarding skills
- Time management
- Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in various situations and environments
- Ability to be objective
- Accurately compares similarities and differences
- Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly and correctly
- Adjusts one's actions in relation to others' actions
- Applies general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense
- Combines pieces of information to form conclusions
- Communicates information and ideas verbally and in writing so others will understand them
- Concentrate on tasks over a period of time without being distracted
- Maintain focus in the presence of distracting sounds
- Manages time effectively
- Multi-tasks with competing priorities
- Performs simple office tasks
- Quickly make senses of, combine, and organize information
- Retains information
- Understands information and ideas presented through verbal and written communication
- Works as part of a team
- Works in diverse environments
Tools and Equipment Used
- Personal Computer
- Telephone System
- Fax Machine
- Multi-functional Printer
- Scheduling Calendar