New Job Comptroller In New Jersey
Company : Jobssummary / Indeed
Salary : $100,000 - $125,000 a year
Location : New Jersey
Division: Accounts and Control
Full-Time/Part-Time/Seasonal: Full-Time Workweek: Monday – Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Pay: $100,000 - $125,000. Based on qualifications and experience. Competitive Jersey City retirement and health benefits package available, including pension, dental, medical, prescription, FSA (flexible spending account), life insurance, and more.
The City of Jersey is looking for an experienced and driven accounting professional to provide leadership in financial analysis, accounting processes and policies, and financial reporting. The Comptroller will report to the City’s Chief Financial Officer and will oversee the day-to-day operations of the Accounts and Control Division, including staff management, financial transactions, and long-term financial management and reporting. The ideal candidate must be detail-oriented, strategy-minded, and a problem solver while being a hands-on manager to ensure accounting best practices are followed in all areas of work within the division.
- Plans, directs, and organizes the operations of the Accounts and Control Division and proactively addresses and responds to the needs of the division by redesigning processes and procedures together with the Chief Financial officer to better support the division.
- Ensures that financial information about the City’s overall financial status is reported accurately and timely as needed.
- Ensures annual audits are performed in accordance with all applicable regulatory standards and maintain relations with external auditors.
- Interacts with external auditors and participates in auditing projects; provide information and access to accounting records; develops and responds to audit recommendations.
- Ensures that the disbursement of funds is within budgetary authorization limits.
- Oversees all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems and ensures compliance with appropriate standards and regulatory requirements.
- Provides guidance and assistance to other departments on a variety of accounting and budgetary matters.
- Assists with the annual budget preparation, administration, and
- Oversees the monthly bank reconciliations.
- Organizes, assigns, and reviews work of subordinate staff; evaluates, trains, and provides technical assistance; coordinates accounting work with data processing systems. Coordinates resources, determine priorities, and trains and develops Accounting staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education: Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field.
Required Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of experience in financial management in a government agency or with a public accounting firm, with increasingly responsible supervisory and management responsibilities.
- General accounting knowledge including sales taxes, 1099 reporting, accruals, chart of accounts structure, fixed asset identification, account reconciliation, budgeting, and forecasting;
- Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) statements and statutes affecting financial operations. Knowledge of the preparation of a Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR);
- Strong leadership and management skills, with proven experience in mentoring and growing skills of direct reports;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including strong Excel skills;
- Communicate well, both verbally and written, including the ability to make effective and clearly-stated written reports with technical accounting information and the ability to make oral presentations with clarity and logic; and
- Ability to translate complex financial reports, concepts, and goals to individuals at all levels.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and interact in professional manner at all times
- Experience developing and maintaining relationships and the ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Must have a results-oriented work ethic and a positive, can-do attitude.
This is a Civil Service Job and you must eventually pass and qualify for the applicable Civil Service title.
To apply for this job with the City of Jersey City, please fill out our Employment Application.
Please note that this role is subject to the residency requirements set forth by NJ First Act.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $125,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Financial management: 5 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
- Health insurance