New Job Traffic Signal Technician In Vermont
|Traffic Signal Technician|
Traffic Signal Technician
Company : City of Burlington, Vermont
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Vermont
This position reports to Traffic Signal Engineer and is responsible for routine and emergency maintenance on the City’s traffic signal system. In addition, this position aids in the planning and scheduling of signal construction and/or modifications.
Union: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
Essential Job Functions
- Performs routine and preventative maintenance on Traffic signal system, including but not limited to, burnouts, timing issues, periodic testing, knock-downs, up-grades, etc.
- Troubleshoots microprocessor problems and make repairs, including but not limited to, chip, component, sensor, optical detectors and conflict monitors, etc.
- Aids in preparation of construction bid documents, RFP’s (Request for Proposal’s), and makes award recommendations following the City’s purchasing guidelines.
- Supervises work done by contract and local utility companies in coordination with traffic signal system operations and maintenance.
- Inventories spare parts and equipment, insuring adequate replacement stock is available for routine and emergency operations.
- Performs maintenance and repairs of winter Parking Ban lights.
- Maintain accurate records system for maintenance activities at specific traffic signal locations.
- Must be available to plow snow as needed.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- Associates degree in Electrical, Electronics, or Communication and (3) three years of experience in traffic signal maintenance or communications systems, or relevant training and experience required.
- Knowledge of electronics and microprocessor programming as it relates to traffic signals.
- Ability to be on-call and work nights, holiday and weekends as conditions require.
- Valid Vermont Class B Commercial Driver’s License with air-brake certification required within 6 months of date of hire.
- IMSA (International Municipal Signal Association) Level I Traffic Signal Technician certification required within 6 months of date of hire.
- Ability to safely operate line/bucket aerial boom truck required.
- Knowledge of City Codes and Ordinances, National Electrical Code, MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) standards, and NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association) standards required.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website.
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or [email protected].
The City of Burlington is proud to offer full time employees a comprehensive benefits program that includes:
Medical/Dental Insurance Coverage
Prescription Drug Coverage
Flexible Spending Programs
Short-Term Disability Insurance
Paid Leave (Sick and Vacation)
Contributory Retirement Plan
Employee Assistance Program
Discounted Gym Memberships
Education benefits through Champlain College
Employee Assistance Program
Wellness Bonus Program
Local Resort Discounts
Subsidized Transportation Options
For additional details please visit https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/HR
Location: 645 Pine Street,Burlington,VT, Burlington, VT
Job Type: Full-time