|Plant Operator - Wastewater (Main Plant)|
Plant Operator - Wastewater (Main Plant)
Company : City of Burlington, Vermont
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Vermont
This position is responsible for daily plant operations and maintenance duties at various wastewater facilities.
Union: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
Essential Job Functions
- Perform process control testing involved with; including but not limited to; pretreatment, primary clarification, activated sludge aeration, final settling, return and waste activated sludge control, chemical precipitation, chlorine disinfections and anaerobic digestion.
- Operate sludge thickening and dewatering systems by controlling quantity and quality of solids processing through the use of lab testing, flow measuring devices, control instrumentation and chemical dosage.
- Perform wet-weather operations as necessary and maintain on site storm water treatment facility using suggested Operations & Maintenance Manual Procedures.
- Record data and interpret results of testing; prepare recommendations for Chief Operator’s review and execution of process changes.
- Sample wastewater and solids processing streams and perform laboratory analysis.
- Operate and maintain laboratory testing equipment.
- Monitor and record meter data from wastewater flows, methane gas, chlorine feed, return and waste activated sludge, and other meters as required.
- Operate sludge tanker truck as applicable (North and East Plants).
- Operate and perform preventative and corrective maintenance on all plant equipment and 25 pump stations, including, but not limited to pump rebuilding, motor maintenance, lubrication, use of inspection equipment and cleaning.
- Fill out proper reports, including, but not limited too; daily operating sheets, safety and training logs, and inspection logs.
- Perform building and grounds custodial duties.
- Assist Chief Operator in preparation of Federal and State regulatory agency permit monitoring reports.
- May be required to participate in “On-Call Coverage”.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- One (1) year of water/wastewater treatment plant operating experience preferred. Equivalent education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for the position is required.
- Current Vermont state operator certification at a minimum grade for the facility where position is located is preferred. (Main = grade 5, North = grade 4, East = grade 3). Ability to obtain and maintain a Vermont State Operator Certification (Grade 1 minimum) within one (1) year of hire is required.
- A Grade 3 Vermont State operator certification must be obtained within 4 years from the date of hire. Higher grade certifications are strongly encouraged.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid Vermont State Driver’s License required.
- For positions located at North and East Wastewater Treatment Plants, a Commercial Driver’s License Class B with tanker endorsement at the time of application is preferred. Ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License Class B with tanker endorsement within 6 months from the date of hire is required.
- Must be a flexible team player that takes direction well, is safety conscious, and willing and able to learn to operate all equipment and perform all tasks as assigned.
- Ability to perform minor mechanical and electrical maintenance.
- Ability to comprehend and carry out written, oral, and diagrammatic instructions required.
- Ability to learn and maintain VOSHA safety rules and regulations as they pertain to the Department of Public Works.
- Ability to work with a diverse population with a strong commitment to equity and inclusion, among City staff and the general public.
- Ability to create and maintain an environment that appropriately embraces the 6 operating principles; Customer Service, Fiscal Responsibility, Good Labor Relations, Employee Empowerment, Cooperation and Constant Improvement.
- Ability to work nights and weekends required.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website.
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or [email protected]
The City of Burlington is proud to offer full time employees a comprehensive benefits program that includes:
Medical/Dental Insurance Coverage
Prescription Drug Coverage
Flexible Spending Programs
Short-Term Disability Insurance
Paid Leave (Sick and Vacation)
Contributory Retirement Plan
Employee Assistance Program
Discounted Gym Memberships
Education benefits through Champlain College
Employee Assistance Program
Wellness Bonus Program
Local Resort Discounts
Subsidized Transportation Options
For additional details please visit https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/HR
Location: 645 Pine Street,Burlington,VT, Burlington, VT
Job Type: Full-time