|State Government Relations Director|
State Government Relations Director
Company : American Heart Association
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Colorado
Envision all Americans enjoying ideal cardiovascular health free of heart disease and stroke. At the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association, we get to work toward that goal every single day. Is it easy? No. Is it worthwhile? You bet!
This is satisfying work that makes a real difference in people's lives. You can achieve professional growth with personal fulfillment. You will connect with people and make a lifesaving impact. You will partner with individuals, schools, lawmakers, healthcare providers and others to ensure everyone has access to healthier lifestyle choices and proper healthcare.
The American Heart Association (AHA) has an excellent opportunity for a State Government Relations Director in Colorado. The successful candidate must be eligible to lobby the Colorado General Assembly and Executive Officials.
In order to be considered for this role, you are required to live in the state and be within commuting distance of the State Capital.
Responsible for serving as the primary representative of the American Heart Association to the assigned state legislature, state executive branch and associated state agencies to generate awareness and support for the AHA’s public policy agenda. You will strategically coordinate and lead efforts to advance the state public policy priorities. Additionally, this position is responsible for annually planning, managing, and executing an active public policy agenda at the local level in cities and counties across the Denver metro area, as well as identifying and cultivating local public policy work for success related to AHA’s mission throughout Colorado. This role is responsible for working with staff, volunteers, coalitions and partner organizations to build support for our policy issues and to integrate advocacy messaging into AHA programs and events.
Essential Job Duties:
- Coordinates and handles all elements of successful public policy priority campaigns.
- Meets with members of the legislature, their staff, and other state government officials to gain support for AHA’s advocacy issues.
- Meets with local elected officials and stakeholders in the Denver metro area and other local jurisdictions (as defined by your supervisor) to maximize opportunities and gain support for AHA’s advocacy issues.
- Monitors and engages on state-level legislative and regulatory issues of concern to AHA and apprises appropriate volunteers and staff of emerging advocacy issues.
- Provides policy research, development of support materials, recruitment of spokespersons, preparation of testimony, and other activities as needed to advance our state and local legislative agenda.
- Participates in coalition building efforts and other partnerships designed to strengthen opportunities that advance our advocacy issues.
- Recruits’ membership for and provides staff support to the volunteer state advocacy committee. Collaborates with the committee to develop an annual state and local legislative agenda.
- Provides strategic direction on statewide grassroots and key contact, recruitment, retention, and mobilization efforts. Provides strategic direction and support materials for state lobby days and/or local in-district meetings.
- Collaborates with communications staff partners on development and timing of media advocacy efforts.
- Prepares required reporting information including local, state and/or federal lobbying reports and other reporting, as necessary.
- Provides advocacy presentations and training opportunities to volunteers and staff as needed.
- Attends and participates in meetings throughout the year, including national and regional staff trainings, regional and state-level meetings with staff partners, and metro board meetings.
Want to help get your resume to the top? Consider the experience we require:
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Law, related field or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years of:
- Experience and success in legislative and regulatory lobbying.
- Experience building and managing issue advocacy coalitions.
- Experience developing and implementing grassroots and media advocacy tactics.
- Possess policy analysis and technical (legislative and regulatory) writing skills.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time constraints.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of planning, budgeting, and prioritizing work.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to travel overnight approximately 25% of the time.
Here are some of the preferred skills/experiences we are looking for:
- Knowledge of voluntary health organizations or nonprofit organizations.
- Experience working in health care policy.
- Experience in volunteer management.
- Understanding and appreciation for the use of technology and information systems.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary minimum to midpoint of the range: $63,000-$83,480.
Pay is commensurate with experience; geographic differentials to the pay range may apply. AHA reserves the right to pay more or less than the posted range. Any difference between actual compensation and the posted range will be based on factors other than race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy) or national origin.This position is incentive eligible based on achieving certain targets.
To help you be successful, you will have access to our award-winning learning platform, Heart U, as well as our sales training and the award-winning relationship development program, Building Powerful Partnerships.
Attracting hardworking, committed employees means offering a competitive benefits package, ongoing professional development and training, and a diverse and inclusive environment in which to work and grow. And we do! Our Rewards and Benefits package not only gives you the total benefits you want, but also goes above and beyond with creative programs to develop your skills and help you grow and thrive at the American Heart Association.
Retirement Plans: AHA retirement plans offer employees a way to start saving after their first paycheck. The retirement plans provide employer contributions after two years of service. If you have previous 501(c)(3) non-profit experience, within the last 5 years, at a national health agency, an institution of higher learning or a medical institution, that experience may count towards the two-year waiting period. Employees are 100% vested in employee and employer contributions.
Leaves of Absence: AHA offers both Short Term and Long Term Disability benefits which replace earnings if you are unable to work due to a non-work-related illness or injury. Employees are eligible for Short Term Disability after 90 days of service and are eligible for Long Term Disability after being disabled for 90 days or more. Eligible employees can take up to 12 weeks off of work for a qualified leave of absence under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), intermittent FMLA leaves and leave as an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended (ADAAA).
Our Rewards & Benefits package not only gives you the total benefits you want, but also goes above and beyond with innovative programs to develop your skills – helping you grow and thrive at the American Heart Association. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://heart.jobs/rewards-and-benefits/
The American Heart Association’s 2024 Goal: Every person deserves the opportunity for a full, healthy life. As champions for health equity, by 2024, the American Heart Association will advance cardiovascular health for all, including identifying and removing barriers to health care access and quality.
At American Heart Association | American Stroke Association, diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve as it relates to heart health and stroke prevention.
This position not a match with your skills? Click here to see other opportunities.
Be sure to follow us on Twitter #TheAHALife
EOE/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities