New Job Juvenile Detention Officer In Arkansas
|Juvenile Detention Officer|
Juvenile Detention Officer
Company : Pulaski County Government
Salary : $32,974 - $39,917 a year
Location : Arkansas
Starting Salary Range:
$32,974 – 39,917
Non-Exempt position, eligible for overtime
Safety Sensitive Designation:
This position is designated as safety sensitive and is subject to random drug and alcohol screening.
11/24/21 at 11:59 PM
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and minimum qualifications of this job. The incumbent(s) may be required to perform job related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign job-related responsibilities and tasks to this job at any time. Certain functions are understood to be essential; these include, but are not limited to, attendance, getting along with others, working a full shift, and dealing with and working under stress. Any essential function of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodation for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent/applicant only to the extent medically and reasonably feasible.
Responsible for the supervision, control and safety of juveniles detained in the Pulaski County Juvenile Detention facility and the maintenance of related records and reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Receives juveniles from various law enforcement agencies and verifies proper paperwork is provided for legal detainment.
- Interviews juveniles to obtain basic personal information and medical history; completes intake paperwork.
- Explains policies and procedures of Juvenile Detention Center to juveniles.
- Performs necessary searches and seizures of weapons and illegal substances as required by law.
- Fingerprints juveniles and ensures proper storage of personal clothing and property.
- Distributes clothing and personal hygiene items to juveniles as required.
- Notifies juveniles’ families/guardian of admission to the Juvenile Detention Center.
- Monitors juveniles’ visitation and telephone conversations according to departmental policy.
- Observes juveniles on a constant basis according to Departmental guidelines ensuring compliance with security standards.
- Conducts established recreational programs with juveniles.
- Transports juveniles to and from courts, treatment and diagnostic units, and other facilities in accordance with security policy.
- Completes daily and weekly facility reports, incident reports, court lists, daily intake log and other records as required.
- Transports laundry, food trays and other supplies from appropriate county facilities to detention center.
- Responds to emergencies or disciplinary problems with juveniles according to pre-established department rules.
- Cleans detention facilities as assigned.
- Conducts daily room searches.
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Ability to hear and speak sufficiently to communicate information in person and by telephone
- Digital dexterity necessary for keyboard operation and written documentation
- Visual acuity needed for use of a computer screen and surveillance of juvenile activities and center conditions
- Ability to restrain juveniles when needed
- Ability to lift and carry 40 pound loads
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time
Work is performed primarily within a controlled detention environment. Interaction with hostile and/or agitated juveniles is required. Occasional transporting of youth to other facilities is required. Shift assignment may change as directed by the supervisor. Occasional trips to various locations for training is required.
Completion of high school or GED equivalency; some experience working with juveniles; or any equivalent combination of experience or training which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Must possess or be able to immediately obtain a valid Arkansas Driver’s License
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the following requirements: criminal background check (no previous felony convictions), sexual offender check, child maltreatment check, traffic offense check, drug screening, physical examination and psychological evaluation by appropriate licensed agencies.
Must be twenty-one (21) years of age.
Must be able to work overtime and work variable shifts.
Employees will be subject to random drug testing.
PREFERENCES: Experience working with at-risk youth and/or individuals who are housed in a residential setting.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you are an individual with disabilities who needs accommodation or you are having difficulty using our website to apply for employment, please contact [email protected] or call (501) 340-6110.