New job Communications Coordinator - Public Health in Minnesota
|Communications Coordinator - Public Health|
Communications Coordinator - Public Health
Company : City of Minneapolis
Salary : $63,575 - $87,872 a year
Location : Minnesota
- Work across the Health Department to develop and implement communications plans and strategies to effectively communicate with select partners and stakeholders. Develop and carry out proactive initiatives to highlight the accomplishments of and attributes of the Health Department
- Develop and carry out communications strategies as outlined in Department’s Communication Platform to promote effective communication regarding core health department initiatives, services, and programs
- Work with City Communications to provide assistance in strategic planning, media relations, crisis communications, web, television, and social media strategies, and oversight of published materials
- Work with the Health Equity Manager and Department leadership as needed to implement and communicate about equity, workforce development and trauma informed work.
- Research, write, edit, and produce brochures, social media posts and web items to inform various audiences, including residents, neighborhood groups, and elected officials.
- Organize communication related trainings for health department staff in order to increase staff competency to effectively communicate with a variety of stakeholders.
- As needed, help respond to media inquiries regarding department actions, including those involving potentially controversial matters.
- As needed brief and advise Department leadership who will speak to the media and provide them with talking points, fact sheets and other preparatory materials.
- Provide communications support for public health or other city emergencies.
- Other communications duties as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal office setting, the City is currently working remote with the possibility of a hybrid work from home/office schedule in the future.
Required Qualifications: Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Broadcasting, or equivalent.
Minimum Experience: Three or more years of experience working for or with the media, managing projects and considerable experience creating communications for a variety of different audiences.
Background Check: The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be considered further for the position.
Drug and Alcohol Testing: All job applicants must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test once a conditional offer of employment has been made. Applicants will be required to sign a notification and consent form prior to undergoing testing. Applicants who do not consent to undergo drug and alcohol testing will not be required to do so; and the City will withdraw the conditional job offer resulting in the job applicant no longer being considered for the position.
Selection Process: The examination/selection process for this position may consist of a rating of training and experience and/or an oral examination and/or a written examination (100%). Since the examination process may consist of a rating of training and experience, it is to your advantage to be as complete and thorough on your application form as is possible. Minimum passing score is 70.00. At each step of the selection process, the department reserves the right to limit the number of applicants to be tested.
Interview Selection: The hiring authority reserves the right to determine the maximum number of candidates to interview from the established eligible list. If the hiring authority decides to interview other than by exam score order, they may select additional people to interview based on a candidate's education or experience related to the field, work history, or skills uniquely related to the operational needs of the position.
Union Representation: This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement between the City of Minneapolis and the Minneapolis Professional Employees Association (MPEA). For more information on the terms and conditions of this agreement, please
visit: h ttp://www.minneapolismn.gov/hr/laboragreements/
Eligibility Statement: The names of applicants who meet minimum qualification and who pass the screening process shall be placed on the eligible list for employment consideration. This list will be certified to the hiring manager who may use the list to fill a vacancy of the same job title. This eligible list will expire three (3) months after it has been established.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to present information and ideas accurately, effectively, and concisely. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Past experience developing and implementing communication plans in a governmental or non-profit environment
- Past experience effectively communicating with linguistically and racially diverse urban audiences.
- Experience in and ability to work in a collaborative environment, particularly with department and City of Minneapolis staff, community stakeholders and state and county governments.
- Ability to work in an environment which requires flexibility, responsiveness, and multi-tasking.
- Good knowledge of modern office computer software and of desk top publication software.
- Ability to work with a variety of software tools, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Photoshop. Video production, Digital media skills (especially social media expertise), including updating websites are also needed.
- Past experience working in a public health environment is a plus.