New job Utility Service Worker in Missouri
|Utility Service Worker|
Utility Service Worker
Company : City of Columbia, MO
Salary : $15.00 - $17.20 an hour
Location : Missouri
Perform skilled and lead work disconnecting and connecting water/electric services, investigating tampering, reading meters, and documenting work on a daily basis.
Essential Job Functions
- Contact customers with delinquent accounts and attempt to collect money owed or make other payment arrangements. Evaluate, investigate, and resolve billing concerns related to radio read meters.
- Document readings from meters and deliver documentation to billing office.
- Connect or disconnect electric and water services for utility customers as indicated on work orders.
- Install new electric and water meters.
- Investigate complaints of high water or electric bills, reread meters, check meters and other connections, and report defects in service lines or meters.
- Investigate, verify and isolate leaks on city and customer owned water lines.
- Document readings from meters and deliver documentation to billing office and meter shops.
- Investigate and verify leaks on city owned and customer owned water lines.
- Utilize a computer (laptop, tablet and smart phone) in a mobile environment to collect and disseminate data using work orders and GIS system applications.
- Use a variety of hand tools and equipment in installing, connecting, and disconnecting meters; clean and maintain tools and equipment; and test for voltage at meter base.
Ancillary Job Functions
- Inspect meters and connections for tampering, irregularity, malfunctions, and/or unauthorized connections.
- Maintain accurate records and logs related to the work.
- Safeguard keys used for entering private property.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience - An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience in utility service work and customer service highly preferred.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities which may be representative, but not all-inclusive of those commonly associated with this position
- Knowledge of water and/or electric meters and of billing systems using meter readings.
- Knowledge of standard hand tools and equipment related to installing, connecting, or disconnecting water and electric meters in a safe, effective manner.
- Thorough knowledge of safety standards and precautions pertaining to the use of tools, working around electricity, and disconnecting/connecting electric meters while power is on.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, utility customers, and the general public.
- Ability to deal safely with unfriendly/aggressive pets.
- Ability to understand and communicate policies, procedures, and services of the department, referring customers to other services as needed.
- Ability to obtain and maintain division specific required certifications/licenses.
- Ability to work on-call and respond within 30 minutes at all hours of the day/night.
- Familiarity with City geography and street locations.
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job
- May be exposed to wet/humid conditions, inclement outdoor weather, extreme temperatures, moving mechanical parts, or risk of electrical shock.
- May be required to work in confined spaces, hazardous traffic conditions, or high/dangerous places.
- May be required to wear a respirator in certain situations.
Physical Abilities that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions
- Regularly required to talk and listen.
- Must be able to grasp, stand, walk, drive, reach with hands/arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, climb/balance, operate mechanical equipment, and move up and down from/to sitting position on the floor.
- Regularly required to have repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement.
- Must have clarity of vision, three-dimensional vision, and precise hand-eye coordination.
- May be required to lift up to 100 pounds.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
Monday – Friday 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.