New job Politics and Government Reporter in Minnesota
|Politics and Government Reporter|
Politics and Government Reporter
Company : Star Tribune Media Company LLC
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Minnesota
Star Tribune is seeking an aggressive, enthusiastic reporter with a passion for politics and government coverage.
This reporter will join a high-profile team that covers the governor, the Minnesota Legislature, statewide offices and agencies, and elections. It’s vital to be fast and flexible, able to react smartly to breaking news and thrive in a highly competitive environment. The ability to execute authoritative and sophisticated coverage of elected officials and issues is expected. Critical to this beat is a strong desire to build a vast and diverse network of sources. This reporter will be counted on to provide distinct, tough-minded coverage of the governor, the administration and reshuffled dynamics at the Minnesota State Capitol. Occasionally, coverage will include Minnesota’s delegation in Washington, so the successful candidate must keep an eye on the national political landscape and Minnesota’s role in it.
- Minimum five years of related experience.
- You should already be a standout reporter and writer, recognized by your peers and supervisors as among the very best at what you do.
- A track record of developing short-, mid- and long-range enterprise ideas involving politics, government and elections.
- You have an active presence and following on social media and have demonstrated a robust engagement with digital audiences.
- You must be comfortable posting quickly to the website and be eager to embrace emerging digital story forms that engage new readers, such as newsletters.
- A commitment to coverage that represents and speaks to the breadth of Minnesota’s diversity.
- A spirit of collaboration is essential.
Hours: Full-time, with occasional nights and weekends.
Location: The reporter will be based at the Star Tribune’s Minnesota Capitol office in St. Paul and occasionally will work from headquarters in Minneapolis.
If you’re interested, please upload a resume, beat memo describing how you'd approach the job, and at least a half dozen story ideas.
Some top benefits include: a new downtown office with gym access to Capella Tower Health Club in the building and access to rooftop amenities in warm months; commuter benefits; competitive medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; 401(k) matching; tuition assistance; pet insurance and unlimited digital access to Star Tribune. In addition, Star Tribune has partnerships with many organizations that offer our employees a variety of discounts!