New job Legislative Assistant II in Oregon
|Legislative Assistant II|
Legislative Assistant II
Company : Legislative Assembly
Salary : $3,319 - $4,979 a month
Location : Oregon
Initial Posting Date:09/10/2021
Salary Range:$3,319 - $4,979
Position Title:Legislative Assistant II
Oregon House District 45 is seeking a talented individual to join the team as Legislative Assistant for Representative Barbara Smith Warner, who also serves as the caucus leader for the Oregon House Democrats. The individual in this position will help Rep. Smith Warner in serving the needs of the diverse constituents in House District 45, as well as assisting in developing and passing Majority Leader Smith Warner’s legislative agenda.
The position requires good communication, organizational, and outreach skills, including comfort with writing and responding to public feedback. Of critical importance is a commitment to progressive values, racial justice, and building a future where everyone can thrive. Majority Leader Smith Warner encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences to apply.
Given the ongoing public health constraints of the global pandemic, this position will be primarily remote for the first few months, then potentially full-time in Salem during legislative sessions (Feb 2022; Jan-July 2023) depending on public health guidelines. The person in this position will interact frequently with the staff of the House Majority Office.
The work history and experience of the successful candidate will include:
- Legislative processes and practices
- Existing legislation and its ramifications
- Historical context of policies
- Current bills in process
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Data management
- Researching policy issues
- Office management
- Event organization
- Pay close attention to detail
- Manage time effectively and stay organized
- Multitask and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Remain calm and flexible under pressure
- Understand complex legislative issues
- Provide excellent customer service and maintain a friendly, welcoming, and professional disposition
To view the position description in its entirety, please
HOW TO QUALIFY:
Your application must demonstrate:
- Bachelor’s degree and three (3) to five (5) years of related experience. OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to demonstrate ability to perform the duties of the position may be considered.
Please attach a resume and cover letter that clearly states your experience and how it is applicable to this position. Applications received without both documents may not be reviewed.
In the coming months, the Capitol Building will be undergoing extensive renovation and construction projects which may limit accessibility to employees. This, coupled with the restrictions due to the Coronavirus pandemic, will require Legislative employees to work both from home and within the building as the construction project, business need and health guidelines dictate. While working from home, personal, stable and high-speed internet access will be required to perform the functions of this position. There may be occasions that require employees scheduled to be working from home, to report to the Capitol building. Every effort will be made to provide reasonable notice. However, employees may be required to report to the building under short notice. The Capitol building is located at 900 Court Street NE, Salem, OR 97301.
WHY THE OREGON STATE LEGISLATURE?
- Work/life balance - paid leave and a competitive benefits package .
- We offer full medical, vision and dental with paid sick leave, vacation, personal leave and ten paid holidays per year.
- Collaborative work environment with a team of bright, hardworking, and fun individuals.
- Opportunities for professional development to expand your breadth and depth of knowledge.
- Support the creation of public policy and watch as history unfolds for the State of Oregon as ideas become crafted into policies and laws.
- The Legislative Branch is made up of 7 small-medium state agencies where you can really get to know your co-workers.
- IF YOU ARE NOT A STATE EMPLOYEE : To apply for this position, follow the "Apply" link and complete the application & questions online. If this is your first time applying in our new system "Workday", you will need to create a new user profile. You can even drag and drop your resume into Workday and it will read and generate your Work History! Be sure to attach a cover letter and resume.
- CURRENT STATE EMPLOYEES : Login to Workday using the Career app on your Home Page. Prior to clicking "Apply" , update your employee profile to reflect your Education, Skills, and Job History (including your current job).
- Attach your current cover letter and resume. Applications submitted without both documents may not be reviewed.
- Please monitor your Workday account, as all communication will be sent to you through this system. You must have a valid e-mail address to apply.
- This announcement closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
SPECIAL INFORMATION :
- Oregon state government provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment in accordance with ORS 408.225, 408.230, and 408.235. If you are requesting veterans' preference, you may receive an additional questionnaire in your Workday account. In order to ensure your privacy, we are asking that you complete the Veterans’ Questionnaire and attach your qualifying military documents at that time. This questionnaire will be sent to your Workday account after you submit your application. We ask that you complete the questionnaire before the application deadline; extensions may be granted if necessary and reasonable. . For questions about documentation, please visit: Veterans Resources . Or call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at: 1-800-692-9666.
- The salary in this job posting reflects the base salary without contributions to the Public Employee Retirement System (PERS). Employees eligible for PERS will have their salary increased by roughly 6.95% and 6% will be automatically be subject to a mandatory employee contribution to PERS.
- The work experience and/or education section of your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet all the minimum and desired skills listed above.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States. Applicants who require VISA sponsorship will not be considered at this time.
- If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Aimee Steketee, Human Resource Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 986-1373.
- The Oregon State Legislature is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to Workforce Diversity.