New job Legislative Aide in Massachusetts
Company : House of Representatives
Salary : $44,000 a year
Location : Massachusetts
The Massachusetts House of Representatives (“House”) is comprised of 160 independently elected Members, each representing a district of approximately 43,000 people.
The Legislative Aide for the 5th Barnstable District assists the Member of the House who appointed the Legislative Aide in the discharge of that Member’s official duties by providing communication, legislative, and administrative support services deemed necessary by the Member.
- Provide Member with basic administrative support including, but not limited to, answering phones and taking messages, greeting visitors, scheduling and other tasks as may be assigned;
- Manage constituent inquiries and casework including creation/maintenance of database of constituent requests;
- Serve as liaison with Member’s constituents;
- Serve as liaison with federal, local and other state government offices as directed by the Member;
- Research and draft responses to constituents, stakeholders and other interest groups on matters of interest;
- Draft proposed legislation and amendments on matters of importance to the Member;
- Monitor and track legislation for Member;
- Prepare summaries of legislation and briefing materials on various topics for Member;
- Draft press releases and media advisories;
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of the media;
- Prepare and publish weekly and monthly legislative updates;
- Attend meetings and forums on behalf of the Member as directed;
- Supervise interns and coordinate with the House intern program;
- Draft and post to all legislative social media pages; and
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced professional office environment; handle or operate standard office equipment, and occasionally lift up to 10 pounds.
Disclaimer: This description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the position described, and may be amended at any time in the sole discretion of the House.
- Ability to interface and work with different communities and personalities in a professional and helpful manner;
- Ability to multi-task effectively, work independently and meet deadlines on short notice;
- Excellent research, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Ability to communicate with members and colleagues effectively and provide and receive feedback professionally;
- Strong organizational skills including, but not limited to, calendar and email management and ability to prioritize tasks as needed;
- Ability to follow-up and complete tasks;
- Proficient social media skills.
Preferred Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; or
- Associate degree with more than 1 year of professional work experience
Preferred Experience (not required):
- Familiarity with the 5th Barnstable District and/or Cape Cod
- Familiarity with the State House and legislative process and/or local government through prior work experiences or internships
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
- This is a full-time, minimum of 37.5 hours per week position. Days of work are typically Monday through Friday. Hours vary and may include evening and weekend work to support the Member’s legislative or constituent activities.
- This position offers the ability to work remotely until the State House reopens for in-person work but is subject to change at any time. Attendance at in-person events in the district and Boston will be required.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston - State House
Salary: $44,000 annually
Benefits: As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, staff have access to a wide variety of health plans including coverage of health, vision, and dental benefits. Furthermore, retirement benefits are available, depending upon one’s length of employment.
This description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the position described, and may be amended at any time at the sole discretion of the House.
Start Date: October 4, 2021
Application Deadline: September 22, 2021
How to Apply: Please upload a cover letter and resume through the MassCareers portal or via email to Kaitlin.Wright@mahouse.gov.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
The Massachusetts House of Representatives is an Equal Opportunity Employer.