New job Cashier Receptionist Scheduler Imaging in California
|Cashier Receptionist Scheduler Imaging|
Cashier Receptionist Scheduler Imaging
Company : Kaiser Permanente
Salary : Details not provided
Location : California
The cashier receptionist/scheduler is a member of the health care department team in the Imaging/Radiology department who functions under the direction guidance and supervision of the department manager, assistant manager, or designee. The cashier receptionist/scheduler greets and checks in all patients reporting to the medical office in a professional and courteous manner. This position is responsible for accurate check-in, scheduling, revenue collection and safeguarding revenue for all patients. Responsible for having knowledge of processes and procedures for the department as well as general knowledge of the medical center in order to assist patients with questions and concerns. Requires extensive use of the computer and a significant amount of contact with the public. Requires spending at least 50% of the time doing scheduling.
- Serves as an ambassador for Kaiser Permanente by exhibiting respectful, courteous, and friendly behavior towards and around our patients and members. Takes accountability for customer experience at Point of Service.
- Creates a welcoming environment including maintaining a professional demeanor, appearance and physical environment
- Greets patients, assists with facility directions, provides resources, answers questions and when applicable escalates issues
- Actively seeks information to understand the member/patient circumstances, problems, expectations needs
- Addresses patient problems, concerns and issues and escalates to management when necessary
- Refers to other departments and administrative services
- Consistently demonstrates service behaviors and principles
- Understands the Kaiser Permanente Mission and the patient Bill of Rights and integrates them into interactions with patients
- In all interactions with patients, members, physicians, staff and visitors, demonstrates service-oriented behaviors that include culturally sensitive good manners, respect, and polite communications.
- Interacts with patients/visitors appropriately, according to age, developmental, and cultural factors
- Assists patients/members
- Assists with facility directions
- Refers to other departments and administrative services for further information, e.g., Member Services, Medical Secretaries, Financial Counseling and Billing
- Directs patients to appropriate area after the arrival/registration process is completed
- Utilize Language Line, QBS and ASL services as needed
- Demonstrates telephone etiquette skills
- Is courteous and professional when the telephone
- Takes accurate, legible and complete messages and forwards to the appropriate party.
Registration and Systems
- Follow appropriate patient registration policy and procedures
- Follows department protocols for application of the registration script
- Registers patients by following policies and procedures and using the appropriate electronic systems, or manual visit records when the systems are down.
- Navigates and uses multiple organizational systems
- E.g., registration system, appointment system, email system, etc
- Accesses, reviews and keeps current with appropriate reference materials alerting to systems and workflow changes
- Completes all tasks within a technical system in order to perform all expected job duties
- Understands the system impact when making decisions while performing the registration function that may impact billing, clinical or regulatory reporting, cost share collection, etc.
- Initiate downtime procedures when necessary.
Other registration duties may include:
- Obtains a patient medical record number when necessary
- Schedules follow-up appointments in the clinic
- Records additional patient information in the electronic system
- Screens patients for metallic objects prior to MRI
- Refers patients for financial counseling
- Receives, documents and releases patient valuables
- Maintains the patient will-call area box if applicable
- For Same Day appointments, the scheduling duties below will be utilized during registration.
Documentation and Registration Data Quality
- Verifies patient identification to ensure right patient for right exam and document according to outlined procedures.
- Accurately and completely records/verifies demographic information and other key patient data such as:
- Contact Information
- Ensures completion and documentation of receipt of patient forms according to registration system prompts and department procedures
- May distribute relevant brochures or letter to the patient or patient's agent.
- Has a working knowledge of health plan coverages.
- Demonstrates basic level knowledge and understanding of guiding principles for Health Plan coverages; for example (but not limited to) classic, deductible coinsurance, and self-funding plans.
- Provide basic coverage and benefit information to patients, but refers patients to appropriate resources for complex questions.
- Determines patient's membership and benefits according to the benefit information displayed in the electronic systems.
- When electronic information is not available, trusts the patient regarding benefit and coverage information.
- Records Insurance Information.equests and verifies insurance information from patients including Medicare Secondary Payor information, and information sufficient to bill Government, Commercial, Third Party Payors or other financial sponsors.
- Creates appropriate accounts and coverages in the electronic system.
Cash Handling and Revenue Collection
- Complies with all applicable cash handling policies and procedures.
- Handles revenue, reconciles shift and deposits funds according to the Cash Handling Responsibility Agreement .
- Handles safekeeping of change funds, all revenue collected during the shift, all assigned revenue documents, and all keys assigned for cash control.
- Obtains, secures, and ensures sufficient denominations to provide change.
- Uses correct procedures to document and report discrepancies.
- Problem solves and makes attempts to resolve issues and cash discrepancies in cash drawer and change fund.
- Obtain verification and necessary pending authorizations from non-KP insurers (including Medicare, Medi-Cal and COB) on members and non-members when Financial Counselor is not available.
- Informs patients that they may receive a bill depending on their coverage and services received.
- Never denies or defers services based on the patient's ability to pay.
- Calculate member liability based on benefit plan (e.g.IVF, etc.)
- Collects and records the appropriate cost share from patients.
- Identifies and collects non-dues revenue from patients.
- Notifies patients of payment options and other critical information regarding their financial liabilities.
- Explains basic cost share information to patients.
- Uses overrides to cost share collection, as directed by registration policies and procedures.
- Manages and performs department-specific tasks
- Adheres to all department, facility and regional policies and procedures
- Team and Department responsibilities
- Communicates with clinical and non-clinical staff as needed
- Communicates clearly, appropriately and constructively with other staff and physicians, in the ED, the Medical Center, and the community.
- Works toward positive operational outcomes.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Must spend no more than 50% of time on the above duties.
Scheduling - Must spend at least 50% of time on these duties:
- Facilitate the timely scheduling of patients by coordinating patient information with physicians or technologist.
- Receive orders, facilitate appropriate scheduling assignments and communicate information to patients.
- Verify if there is a staff message to reply back to the order physician prior to scheduling
- Prioritize cases/referrals utilizing established guidelines.
- Contacts patient to schedule exam/procedure and return appointments according to established procedures and scheduling guidelines, when applicable.
- Utilize protocols to determine and communicate proper patient preparation including checking for allergies, lab tests, and pre-requisite exams.
- Notify and inform patient/member of cost share obligations and conduct screening questionnaires when applicable
- Notify physician to order pre-requisite tests or meds as appropriate, according to protocol.
- Communicate through use of technology to providers office to ensure order(s) has been placed or authenticated
- Refer patients to other resources as needed (e.g., eligibility and financial support services, Patient Financial Services/Business Office, member services, medical secretaries).
- Follow defined KP Health Connect workflows.
- Secure patient charts and i.e., history/physical, lab, informed consents, etc., in advance of exam/procedure.
- Cancel and reschedule appointments when needed.
- Notify all departments in a timely manner within the center of any changes in the schedule, i.e., add-ons, cancellations and no-shows.
- Contact patients to remind them of appointments and prep.
- Provide exam/study preparation materials to patients per protocol.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
One (1) year of work experience involving customer service and cash handling, cash balance or reconciliation within the last 3 years.
High School Diploma/GED.
License, Certification, Registration
Basic knowledge and use of computer including passing of a PC skills assessment
Typing 35 WPM and 10-key proficiency
Proficiency in both verbal and written formats
Basic addition and subtraction math skills, including passing of Math assessment
Ability to multi-task, organize, manage time and prioritize workflow in a complex environment.
Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
Previous experience in a healthcare setting preferred.
HoursPerWeek : 1
Workdays : Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat,
Job Schedule :
Job Type : Standard
Employee Status : Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation : A01|SEIU|United Healthworkers
Job Level : Entry Level
Job Category : Administrative & Support Services
Travel : No