New job Public Health Advisor 3 (Home-Based) DOH5662 in Washington
Public Health Advisor 3 (Home-Based) DOH5662
Company : State of Washington Dept. of Health
Salary : $4,627 - $6,063 a month
Location : Washington
This position supports the Office of Environmental Health & Safety (OEHS) mission as a Food Safety Technical Expert. It leads the inspection of various state facilities, independently scheduling and conducting risk-based inspections, responding to complaints, and ensuring regulated facilities are properly permitted.
The position leads the development of food safety guidance documents and educational materials, ensuring they are accurate and consistent with other program materials. It develops and presents comprehensive food safety training and provides consultation, guidance, and technical assistance to professional public health staff and other various stakeholders on food safety issues, best practices, the interpretation of rules, and assists local health jurisdictions and various state agencies with foodborne disease outbreak response.?
This is a full-time permanent position within the Division of Environmental Public Health (EPH), OEHS.???
The mission of the OEHS is to improve the health of people in Washington State by reducing and preventing, where possible, human exposures to a variety of environmental hazards and disease pathogens associated with the disposal of wastewater, the food we eat, the schools our children attend, and the places we recreate and overnight.
About the Department of Health
The vision of the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is equity and optimal health for all. Our mission is to work with others to protect and improve the health of all people in Washington state.
Good organizations know what they do and how they do it. Great organizations also understand why they do it. Our values are:
- Human-centered: We see others as people who matter like we do and take into account their needs, challenges, contributions, and objectives.
- Equity: We are committed to fairness and justice to ensure access to services, programs, opportunities, and information for all.
- Collaboration: We seek partnership and collaboration to maximize our collective impact. We cannot achieve our vision alone.
- Seven Generations: Inspired by Native American culture, we seek wisdom from those who came before us to ensure our current work protects those who will come after us.
- Excellence: We strive to demonstrate best practices, high performance, and compelling value in our work every day.
Benefits of Working for DOH
Washington is America's Top State, according to U.S. News (2021), and provides one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation.
We also offer:
- A healthy life/work balance by offering flexible schedules and telework options for many positions.
- Growth and development opportunities.
- A wellness program that offers education, access to healthy food, and fitness classes.
- Opportunities to serve your community through meaningful work.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work.
- An Infant at Work Program based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding.
- A modernized workplace.
- Performing inspections of state facilities regulated by the program.
- Using the HealthSpace database to track inspection due dates, ensuring database is accurate and maintained, creating and maintaining policies and procedures.
- Responding to complaints and illness notifications related to regulated state facilities.
- Providing food safety technical expertise, rule interpretation, and consultative services to state and local food safety professionals, food industry representatives, and the public.
- Standardizing local health food program leads to promote inspection skills and consistency.
- Consulting regularly with co-workers and Program Supervisor to ensure the agency's food safety messages are consistent.
- Leading the development of guidance documents and training materials.
- Training and educating a wide range of stakeholders in food safety.
- Assisting Local Health Jurisdictions and various state agencies in the response to foodborne illness outbreaks.
What we’re looking for
Our ideal candidate has a driving passion for the work, brings humility to their job and interactions, and understands how their actions affect others. They see the needs and objectives of others and take them into account while achieving their objectives, and they adapt their approach and expectations accordingly. Our ideal candidate is outward even when confronted with others that are not open or collaborative. They demonstrate resilience to model outward behaviors even when stressed or tired.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in environmental public health, food science, environmental science, or an allied field.
- Four (4) or more years of progressive experience in a food safety program focused on retail food safety.
- Experience in the following:
o Interpreting retail food safety and public health regulations and statutes and providing technical assistance regarding food safety hazards or issues.
o Conducting food safety inspections and foodborne outbreak investigations and writing comprehensive reports.
o Developing and presenting training and educational outreach on food safety topics to a broad scope of stakeholders.
o Participating in the development of food safety guidance, best practices, policies, or rules regarding environmental public health hazards or issues.
- Two (2) or more years of progressive experience reviewing food facility plans and specifications.
- Registered as a Sanitarian in either Washington State or by the National Environmental Health Association.
Intrigued? Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
1. A cover letter, describing how you meet the qualifications and why you are interested in this position.
2. A current resume.
3. Three (3) or more professional references, to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised staff) someone you have supervised or led.
Important Note: Do not attach documents that contain a photo or private information (social security number, year of birth, transcripts, etc.) or documents that are password protected. These documents will not be reviewed and may cause errors within your application when downloaded.
Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should attach a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed verification of service letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to their application. Please remove or cover any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers and year of birth.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. We prohibit discrimination based on race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability.
This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions
With or without an accommodation, I am willing and able to:
- Legally operate a state or privately owned vehicle or provide alternative transportation.
- Occasionally work more than 40 hours per week and/or to adjust normally scheduled hours, which may include evening and weekends.
- Travel to meetings, trainings and field investigations, sometimes beyond normal work hours.
- Move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
If you have questions, need alternative formats or other assistance please contact Skyler Jones at (360) 236-4408, Skyler.firstname.lastname@example.org, or TDD Relay at 1-800-833-6384 or 711 (Washington Relay). Technical support is provided by NEOGOV, 855-524-5627 (can’t log in, password or email issues, error messages).
SUBSCRIBE to DOH Job Alerts
This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification across the agency. Once all the position(s) from the recruitment are filled, the recruitment may only be used to fill additional open positions for the next sixty (60) days.
Only applicants who follow the directions and complete the Application Process in-full will have their responses reviewed for consideration.
Education and experience selected, listed and/or detailed in the Supplemental Questions must be verifiable on the detailed applicant profile submitted.