New job Emergency Management Specialist in Michigan
Emergency Management Specialist
Company : Macomb County, MI
Salary : $44,731 - $56,729 a year
Location : Michigan
DEPARTMENT: Emergency Management and Communications
HIRING AUTHORITY: Director
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Just cause subject to probationary period
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Full-time position (37.5 hours per week.) The current starting time for this position is 8:00 a.m.
Under direction, provides coordination between the county, state, and local agencies in the event of a natural, technological, or man-made emergency, including acts of terrorism; assists with the development of the county’s Emergency Operations Plan, Hazard Mitigation Plan, and Continuity of Operations/Continuity of Government Plan; assists with locating, developing, and delivering resources to Macomb County citizens, first responders, businesses and educational institutions to enhance emergency preparedness; assists with the development and coordination of emergency preparedness training and exercise programs for county employees and first responders; responds to emergency situations affecting Macomb County; performs related duties as assigned.
Provides coordination between the county and federal, state and local agencies in the event of a natural, technological, or man-made emergency, including terrorism (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, explosive (CBRNE).
Assists in developing, reviewing, and updating County and local emergency plans, including the County Operations Plan, Continuity of Operations Plan and the Hazard Mitigation Plan.
Assists in the operation of the Macomb County Emergency Operations Center.
Develops, coordinates, participates and executes training and exercise programs in preparation for emergency and disaster events.
Attends and participates in training and seminars relative to current emergency planning issues.
Assists with the development and delivery of disaster communications and coordinated public information campaigns through the department website, social media networks, press releases, and the development of informational publications.
Advises and assists police, fire, government units, private agencies and volunteer groups with specific phases of emergency management programs by outlining specific roles and activities.
Conducts and advises on the completion of vulnerability assessments on residential, business and governmental institutions.
Assists with coordinating emergency response and recovery efforts directly with local, county and state agencies during emergencies and significant events.
Directs and oversees the work of other staff as assigned.
Operates an automobile while performing assigned job duties.
Required Education and Experience
- Associate’s Degree in Emergency Management, Homeland Security, Criminal Justice, Fire Science, Public Administration or a related field from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience working in an emergency management agency at the federal, state, county or local level
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Emergency Management, Homeland Security, Criminal Justice, Fire Science, Public Administration or a related field from an accredited college or university
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Certification as a Professional Emergency Manager (PEM) through the Michigan State Police/Emergency Management Division
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license and operable insured automobile for authorized travel
- Emergency management, public safety and homeland security processes and structures that support the health, safety and welfare of the community
- Use and application of current computer programs
- Work effectively in stressful conditions and make responsible decisions appropriate to the scope of the position and according to established laws, policies and procedures
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, Federal, State and local agencies and the public
- Utilize countywide and/or department specific software to complete assignments
- Maintain sensitive information in strictest confidence
- Effectively speak, write and understand the English language
- Speak and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Conduct oneself with tact and courtesy
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Works in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone and other office equipment as needed to perform duties.
Manual dexterity and regular fine-finger and hand/wrist motions are required for
operating a keyboard, writing and filing.
Frequently sits, stands and walks.
Occasionally works with individuals who are hostile and irate.
Occasional bending, grasping, reaching. and lift/carry up to 34 pounds.
Occasionally drives when performing assigned duties, and works outside and in the community.
Seeing/vision, talking/speaking and listening/hearing are continuously required.
May encounter frequent interruptions throughout the workday.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR DISCLAIMERS
Complies with P.A. 390, as amended, known as the State's Emergency Management Act and the County’s Emergency Management resolution as well as all related plans, policies and procedures covered by these statutes.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment amongst other possible accommodations.
This position is represented by the AFSCME Local 411 bargaining unit. Therefore, there may be contract language to be considered in the recruitment process.