New job Veteran Service Officer in Wisconsin
Veteran Service Officer
Company : Rock County, WI
Salary : $60,489 - $73,518 a year
Location : Wisconsin
50% Counsels, informs and advises veterans filing claims for various types of government insurance or in obtaining the services of other governmental agencies while maintaining complete confidentiality.
- Investigates the eligibility of veterans and their dependents for various benefits and
- Ensures all procedures relating to claims adhere to applicable statutes and administrative
- Acts in liaison capacity between veterans families and local, state, and federal agencies.
- Maintains office statistics in order to compile and submit an annual report to the Wisconsin
25% Serves as the administrator for the Rock County Veterans Service Office.
- Plans, directs, and supervises the work of subordinate personnel engaged in
evaluates staff casework.
- Hires and trains staff.
- Establishes and implements policies and procedures for the effective management of the
- Plans, develops, and administers the annual budget to ensure that effective services are
20% Promotes ongoing awareness of veterans' needs
- Attends professional associations. May be appointed to committees.
- Performs outreach to the veteran community through press releases, fairs, and public
5% Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of US Department and State of Wisconsin Veterans Affairs rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of Federal and State assistance programs.
- Knowledge of agencies and institutions providing benefits and services to veterans.
- Knowledge of budgetary and administrative techniques.
- Knowledge of modern office methods and procedures.
- Ability to plan and organize work effectively.
- Ability to maintain accurate, current records, and prepare clear and concise reports from them.
- Ability to establish and maintain effectively working relationships within the agency and community.
- Ability to supervise and direct the work of others.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Skill in interviewing techniques to elicit necessary information to develop claim and/or services to the individual.
- Bachelors degree in management or human services preferred.
- Two years of supervisory or management experience.
- Five years experience working with veterans and/or military personnel
- Obtain Claims Accreditation through the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs with in one year.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Must be a Wisconsin resident who served a minimum of two years active duty under honorable conditions in the U.S. armed forces as specified in Wis. Stats, 45.43.
Ability to sit for long periods of time to conduct interviews, etc.
Ability to reach or bend to lift and file office items weighing up to 20 pounds.
Ability to use a computer and a computer keyboard.
Most of the work is inside in an office setting. Does particiapte in programs and gatherings of veterans at other locations.
Potential for unpredictable and violent clients.