New job Scientist in Florida
Company : University of Miami
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Florida
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet .
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Department of Pathology has an immediate opening for a Scientist to participate in and support clinically oriented laboratory-based research activities which includes examination of new technology platforms, biomarker investigations and the development/validation of novel clinical assays performed as part of the translational research group in the department of Pathology.
This position works closely with translational investigators, faculty and staff, from the Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine along with other University of Miami Departments, in addition to sites outside of the University of Miami.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Working closely with the translational research team to provide expert review of study proposals, technical documents and early-stage investigational techniques that are targeted for advancing novel areas of prognostic and predictive medicine.
- The individual will have broad bench-based experience in cell and fluid analytics such as the use of Fluorescent In Situ Hybridization on circulating tumor cells, immunohistochemistry / immunofluorescence, and investigational protein / metabolomic platforms including multiplex ELISA and other approaches that use plasma or serum.
- The ideal candidate will work closely with the team to write standard operating procedures and other documents that would be required to validate assays which will be transitioned to a clinical tool.
- The individual will assist in guiding and interpreting the various experimental research activities in this group which may include advising on appropriate human pathology samples for analysis, performance of assays, introduction of image analysis systems to quantify proteins etc.
- Author and review SOPs and other documentation to support CLIA / CAP registration of the Laboratory of Translational Biosciences (LTB)
- Work closely with the LTB personnel to support novel test development strategies including performing validation studies, analyzing data, generate abstracts and publications and general oversight from inception to execution. Assist in the transition of these novel assays to clinical adoption and ultimately to the clinical laboratories.
- Work in collaboration with the Cancer Modeling group, mass spectroscopy group and other technical areas at UM including NMR while collaborating with clinical colleagues to provide the necessary human specimens for validating novel assays,
- Advance new technologies for RNA ISH and multiplex immunohistochemical / immunofluorescence strategies.
- Work in collaboration with pathologists to support departmental translational research.
Ph.D., M.D. or other doctoral level degree required
Minimum 10 years of relevant experience
Skill in collecting, organizing, and analyzing data.
Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems.
Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.
Job Status:Full time