New job Police Report Clerk in Missouri
Police Report Clerk
Company : St. Louis County Police Department
Salary : $32,323 - $51,709 a year
Location : Missouri
An employee in this job class is responsible for performing word processing and clerical work of moderate difficulty in the preparation of police reports. Work is performed under the direct supervision of a unit supervisor. Work involves extensive typing, and concentrated effort to create computerized police report files while gathering pertinent information from police and civilians over the phone. Work is reviewed for accuracy and speed of processed information.
- Generates computerized police reports by operating word processing equipment to access a Computer Aided Report Entry system.
- Enters Uniform Crime Reporting statistics codes into computer systems in order to provide statistical tracking information.
- Receives report information from police officers and crime victims by telephone conversation; queries callers to ensure complete information in accordance with narrative format and established procedures.
- Retrieves information from Regional Justice Information System (REJIS).
- Enters supplemental information into the police reporting system such as additional items stolen or damaged by processing information from written supplemental reports.
- Enters/updates/cancels persons, vehicles, property into REJIS/MULES/NCIC.
- Prints police reports and performs criminal record checks to assist police officers in preparing warrant applications and/or investigations.
- Performs a variety of established tasks to assist other police auxiliary staff including processing traffic citations, vehicle accidents, curfew violations and arrest reports.
- Provides technical CARE support to our contract, direct entry users.
- Process signage tows in which a vehicle is towed from private property.
- Add OCN to suspect page.
- Completes Records validation lists to determine accuracy and disposition by accessing computerized police report system files.
- Monitors the Records phones after hours and on weekends.
- Requires REJIS/MULES certifications.
- Maintains Orders of Protection files to include entries, updates, dismissals and service information.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of Computer Aided Report Entry system functions, capabilities and operations.
- Knowledge of proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Knowledge of word processing computer equipment operations and terminologies, including various Microsoft applications; CARE, REJIS and Internet Explorer.
- Knowledge of Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) statistics coding procedures.
- Knowledge of office procedures and work methods.
- Some knowledge of police investigative techniques.
- Skill in operating word processing equipment to accurately and rapidly produce police reports.
- Skill in querying police officers and other callers to obtain complete crime information.
- Skill in performing a variety of clerical tasks requiring flexibility and attention to detail.
- Ability to provide courteous and efficient service to the public and police officers.
- Skill in operating multi-line phone system.
- Ability to multi-task without compromising work quality and efficiency.
- Ability to type 45 words per minute with no more than five errors.
- Requires REJIS/MULES certification in order to perform functions (inquiries and entries) in REJIS/MULES/NCIC.
Training and Experience:
Graduation from high school supplemented by courses in typing and business English, and two years experience as a clerk typist, preferably including six months operating word processing equipment; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Police Report Clerk (CARE operator) positions involve fixed shift work necessary to provide word processing and clerical work in the preparation of police report services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year (weekends and holidays included).
- Work shifts are normally eight (8) hours in duration but may be extended in the event of emergency, disaster, manpower shortage, workload or work-in-progress.
- High percentage of attendance, on-time arrival to work and ability to work overtime when necessary are required.
- Police Report Clerk (CARE operator) positions involve exposure to computer screens in a temperature controlled unit.
CITIZENSHIP: Citizen of the United States or valid work permit, and apply for citizenship when eligible.
AGE LIMITS: Eighteen (18) years of age at the time of appointment.
EDUCATION: Educational requirements and skills will be determined by the position classification.
ARREST: Must be free from conviction of a felony or a Class "A" misdemeanor.
MILITARY: Must not have a "Dishonorable" discharge or "Bad Conduct" discharge if having served in the military. All "Other Than Honorable" discharges will be reviewed on an individual basis.
COMPETITIVE SELECTION PROCESS
Under the regulations of the Police Department, all appointments to the St. Louis County Police Department are made on the basis of a continuously open, competitive hiring process conducted under the supervision of the Personnel Services Unit. Each applicant must successfully complete each stage of the selection process before becoming eligible to proceed to the next step.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The Board of Police Commissioners resolved that subject to all applicable State and Federal statutory or judicial exemptions, all qualified applicants for employment and/or advancement, whether commissioned or civilian, shall be given equal opportunity for consideration, selection, appointment and retention, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or political affiliation.
41 South Central
St. Louis, Missouri, 63105