New job Independent Living Teacher in Iowa
Independent Living Teacher
Company : State of Iowa Talent Gateway
Salary : $46,342 - $70,387 a year
Location : Iowa
The Iowa Department for the Blind is seeking an Independent Living Teacher. We are looking for someone who has a positive attitude toward blindness, is passionate about working with older individuals, has excellent Problem solving skills, and a love for learning and teaching. This is an opportunity to join a team of energetic professionals and make a difference in the lives of those you serve.
- Coordinate work with division team and cross-division teams.
- Receives and completes program or other program/agency applications as assigned.
- Obtain, analyze, and interpret eye and other medical reports.
- Determine applicant eligibility for program based on governing regulations, rules, and policies.
- Provide adjustment to blindness counseling and non-visual skills training instruction.
- Demonstrate assistive technology and/or independent living aids, devices, equipment, and/or supplies.
- Completes case management duties as well as case load duties accurately and on time in accordance with policy including closing all program cases timely and accurately.
- Conducts speaking engagements or in-services to large or small groups, radio engagements, or other venues to promote the agency.
- Communicates with individuals and groups, verbally and in writing, and using the English language.
- Move and transport items (e.g., assistive technology equipment) up to 20 pounds between office/domicile, vehicles, and site visits.
- Uses computer, iPhone, apps, copier, and fax
- Travels across Iowa in all types of weather; some meetings are scheduled after hours and require overnight stays.
Graduation from an accredited college or university and experience equal to one year of full-time professional or paraprofessional work in human service fields such as: social services; nursing; personnel; vocational rehabilitation; education; psychology; or intangible sales, interviewing, recruiting, and promotion; recreation, public information, volunteer service for public or private organizations, fund raising, or ministry in a recognized faith or denomination;