New job Director, Government Affairs in Nebraska
Director, Government Affairs
Company : Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska (BCBSNE)
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Nebraska
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska (BCBSNE) is more than just an insurance company; we exist to be there for people in the best and hardest moments of their lives.
Our team is the power behind that promise. And, as the industry rapidly evolves and we seek ways to optimize business processes and customer experiences, there’s no greater time for forward-thinking professionals like you to join us in delivering on it!
As a member of Team Blue, you’ll find purpose, opportunities and the support you need to build a meaningful career and make a powerful impact in our community.
As a Government Affairs Associate you will advance the company's business goals by working with BCBSNE leadership to develop, influence and interpret legislative and regulatory action and by doing so, position BCBSNE as a thought leader on health policy issues. This role will interface with federal, state, policy, and regulatory leaders, as well as business experts and corporate counterparts, to drive strategic, informed, pragmatic positioning on public policy issues. This role will work with leadership to develop and implement analytically sound, strategic, and proactive public policy positions on health care issues, including, but not limited to Medicare, Medicaid, Health IT, clinical/network/pharmacy, commercial insurance, health care reform, and access and quality issues impacting BCBSNE. The Government Affairs Associate also manages the state and federal political action committees and reporting obligations to state and federal government.
What you'll do:
- Track, identify and analyze legislative and regulatory issues that represent potential concerns and opportunities for BCBSNE. Use public policy to further the business interests of the company.
- Lead the development, coordination, and participation on behalf of BCBSNE in rulemaking at the state and federal level, including Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Nebraska Insurance Federation (NIF) National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), and other organizations that have influence over public policy initiatives.
- Act as a primary contact with the Nebraska Department of Insurance and policymakers on legislative issues.
- Communicate policy positions externally, as well as to employees and departments within BCBSNE. Educate government officials, senior BCBSNE officials and business leaders on business and legislative issues of significant interest to the corporation.
- Coordinate and prepare testimony and testifiers for legislative hearings.
- Work with internal leadership to develop a strategic plan that will integrate public policy, government, regulatory and political issues of corporate importance into a long-range action plan that meets corporate goals and objectives.
- Manage and involve candidates and elected officials at BCBSNE events.
- Represent BCBSNE on various issue-oriented working groups, maintain close relationships with lobbyists and elected officials, build coalitions, and assist in managing any contractual arrangements with other interest groups and lobbying organizations.
- Serve as BCBSNE's primary contact on state and federal issues for trade associations, state and federal government, and the BCBSA.
- Work with department leaders and senior management to ensure that the implications of federal and state mandates are analyzed and understood.
To be considered for this position, you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of experience working in the field of health policy, government, or government relations.
- Demonstrated interest in health policy.
The strongest candidates for this position will also possess:
- Law Degree is strongly preferred
Learn more about what makes BCBSNE such an exceptional place to work by visiting NebraskaBlue.com/Careers.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspective and background will lead to a better workplace for our employees and a better product for our customers and members.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans