New job Corrections Unit Manager - Department Promotional in South Dakota
Corrections Unit Manager - Department Promotional
Company : South Dakota State Government
Salary : Details not provided
Location : South Dakota
THIS IS A PROMOTIONAL ANNOUNCEMENT LIMITED TO PERMANENT EMPLOYEES OF THE
DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS
This is a Full-Time 40 Hours Weekly position with the Department of Corrections. For more information on the Department of Corrections, please visit https://doc.sd.gov/.
A Corrections Unit Manager is responsible for the supervision of an inmate housing unit located on a main campus and the security of that unit with authority for unit classification, programming and disciplinary actions for inmates.
- Manages the operation of an inmate housing unit ensuring Department of Corrections policies and institution operations memoranda and procedures are maintained and to see that inmate and staff needs are being met.
- Enforces operations memoranda and policies relative to the institution and the housing unit to maintain a safe and secure environment for inmates and staff
- Supervises correctional personnel to ensure that the objectives of the work unit are met.
- Manages the housing unit facilities by accounting for property and maintaining the appearance and cleanliness of the unit to ensure that the housing unit and furnishings are maintained.
- Develops procedures relative to the operation of the housing unit to accommodate the various types of inmates that the unit will be dealing with.
- Directs the development of programming through discussions with the case manager, correctional counselors and through the review of the inmates’ case history to meet the special needs of the inmates assigned to the housing unit.
- Performs other work as assigned.
- Department of Corrections’ policies and institutional operations memoranda and procedures;
- methods, procedures, and practices of controlling and supervising inmates confined to a correctional institution;
- modern concepts, principles, and practices related to the rehabilitation of criminal offenders;
- effective methods of supervision;
- modern management principles and practices, particularly those related to personnel;
- investigative methods and techniques;
- custody and security requirements and resources needed to provide them;
- appropriate use of force.
- supervise all operations and programs of an inmate housing unit as the officer-in-charge;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with inmates, subordinate employees, and representatives of public and private agencies;
- effectively analyze situations and exercise judgement and discretion in establishing, applying and interpreting departmental policies and institution operations memoranda and procedures;
- recognize deficiencies in and recommend changes to policies, operations memoranda and procedures;
- resolve systems problems and organizational conflicts;
- conduct investigations and evaluate findings;
- remain calm during stressful situations and react quickly during emergencies;
- operate, train others to operate; and supervise the employment of firearms, mechanical restraints and chemical agents.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class B retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=EGD
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"
Save To Job Cart