New job Administrative Assistant in New Mexico
Company : US Veterans Health Administration
Salary : $43,958 - $57,148 a year
Location : New Mexico
This position is located within the Nursing Service at the New Mexico VA Health Care System in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The Administrative Assistant services as a technical specialist, analyst and subject matter expert for the implementation, maintenance and long-term enhancement of automated staff scheduling systems, facilitating coordination of master staffing schedules for all inpatient clinical unit.
Major duties and responsibilities include:
- Assists the Patient Flow Nurse Manager in the placement of clinical staff, taking into consideration unit census, turbulence, and availability of the overall staff
- Ensures Nurse Managers have their daily staff requirements met
- Assists the staffing manager withadministrative processes to identify, develop and implement appropriate staffing methodologies used by inpatient nurse managers for projection of short-term and long-term unit staffing requirements
- Assistsin coordinating daily assignments for float pool and intermittent nursing personnel
- Establishes and maintains automated Decision Support Systems and staffing databases to enable tracking, trending and allocation of available nursing resources
- Generates standard and ad-hoc clinical information data reports
- Utilizes designated clinical information systems to perform data pulls, and sort and evaluate pertinent clinical outcomes data
- Maintains information tracking systems to validate data sets needed to establish and review clinical process improvement initiatives
- Ensures data validation, compiles data, produces trends, and makes recommendations based on the data and requirements
- Participates in the development and review of nurse staffing and scheduling policies and procedures
- Assures that all daily staffing reports and worksheets are completed and maintained
- Coordinates and facilitates the ongoing implementation, evaluation and effective use of the automated scheduling system
- Assists in the development of daily, weekly, and monthly reports that pertain to the utilization of nursing staff and trending of nursing care outcomes data throughout the Medical Center
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Job family (Series)
0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- May be required to serve a probationary period
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
QualificationsTo qualify for this position at the GS-7 grade level, you must have: At least one (1) full year of specialized experience that equipped the you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position at the full performance level, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the federal service (GS-6). Specialized experience includes: Experience Assisting/assuring i.e. identification of staffing shortages, deficiencies, efficient allocation of nursing personnel needed to maintain safe unit staffing levels as needed; Coordinating and facilitating the ongoing implementation, evaluation and/or effective use of the automated scheduling system as needed; Assisting in the development of daily, weekly and monthly reports that pertain to the utilization of nursing staff and/or trending of nursing care outcomes data as required; Utilizing office automation i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Power point and program Management software; Creating/maintaining other databases pertinent for effective and efficient tracking and/or trending of all staffing, scheduling and/or nursing outcomes information; Utilizing all administrative aspects of the automated staffing program to customize data report used by management in the oversight and/or utilization of nursing personnel and resources; Providing the customer with consistent information in accordance with established policies and procedures. NOTE: Experience must be fully documented on your resume and must include job title, duties, month and year start/end dates AND hours worked per week.
You will be rated on the following Competencies as part of the assessment questionnaire for this position:
- Administration and Management
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
IMPORTANT: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. All experience listed on your resume must include the month and year start/end dates. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/.
There is no educational substitution at this grade level.
NOTE: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Physical Requirements: The work is sedentary and is usually accomplished while the incumbent is comfortably seated at a desk or table. Some walking and standing may occur in the course of a non-workday in connection with attendance at meetings and conference, or while researching files. Items carried typically are light objects such as briefcases, notebooks, and data processing reports. Lifting of moderately heavy objects is not normally required. No special physical effort is required to perform the work.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities (i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities), and/or disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. For more information on how to apply using this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator within the office, contact the facility Human Resources Department at (505) 265-1711.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation and be found well-qualified (have a final rating of 85 or more before any Veterans preference points) for this vacancy. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).
Your responses to the assessment questionnaire will be reviewed along with the information provided in your resume and supporting documentation to determine if you are qualified for the position. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your rating may be lowered and/or you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Candidates who apply under All U.S. Citizens announcements will be rated and ranked using Category Rating procedures. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The categories are defined as follows:
- Best qualified - applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are highly proficient in all requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position;
- Highly qualified - applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the requirements of the job;
- Well qualified - applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in some, but not all, of the requirements of the job; and
- Qualified - applicants possessing experience and/or education that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
IMPORTANT: Please ensure your resume include up-to-date contact information (phone number(s), email address(s), etc.)
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), documentation to support Veterans Preference or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- Other (1)
- Other (2)
- Separation Notice (RIF)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.