New job Public Works Trainee in Minnesota
Public Works Trainee
Company : City of Burnsville, MN
Salary : $23.61 an hour
Location : Minnesota
An Equal Opportunity Employer
OPENING DATE: April 29, 2021
CLOSING DATE: May 13, 2021
STARTING SALARY: $23.6058/hr.
SALARY RANGE: $23.6028/hr.-$24.4907/hr.
The Public Works Trainee job classification is a limited duration full-time union benefited position for up to
a maximum of two years to train and gain the skills and experience necessary to be a fully qualified
maintenance worker in Burnsville or elsewhere. Under the direction of Divisional Superintendents and
Crew Leads performs entry level and semi-skilled work in the operation, maintenance and repair of the
City’s park, utility or street systems from April – November and under the direction of the Street
Superintendent and Crew Leads performs trail and sidewalk snow removal and maintenance from
November-April. Responds to emergency and snow plowing call outs as needed. Each trainee position
will be terminated at the end of two years if not hired into a maintenance worker position before that time.
Our values: Your contribution:
Collaboration: we value people and • Establish & maintain effective working
perspectives relations with individuals and teams
Innovation: we are on the leading edge • Respond willingly to varied work
schedules and assignments
Excellence: we expect the best • Willing to learn new job skills and tasks
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The most critical work to be done in the job.
- Turf and irrigation maintenance including park & boulevard mowing, turf renovation and
- Athletic field, sport court and play equipment maintenance including baseball, softball
and soccer field striping and maintenance; other park amenity cleaning, inspections
- Park facility reservation and special event setup, clean up and take down. Park
- Maintenance of specialty park and streetscape amenities, Water feature startup,
trimming and chipping.
- Asphalt maintenance including patching, potholing, milling and pavement with the use of
- Concrete maintenance including curb and sidewalk removal and replacement and catch
- Storm water maintenance including general maintenance, jetter, and vactor cleaning of
- General routine maintenance of equipment used by the street’s division.
Utilities – April – November
- Assists maintenance workers in sanitary sewer cleaning operations.
• Completes Gopher State One Call locate requests.
• Performs hydrant operation and maintenance tasks.
- Operates and maintains vehicles and light equipment and performs manual labor for
the clearing and removal of snow from sidewalks, trails and parking areas and road
right of ways.
- Perform trail, sidewalk, right of way and easement tree and brush trimming, clearing
- Trains in heavy equipment and Commercial Motor Vehicles licensure, operation and
- Repairs lawn and landscape damage from plowing operations.
- Basic knowledge of traffic and safety laws.
- Basic knowledge of personal computers and applications.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing (via email) with the public,
- Basic mechanical ability and aptitude.
- Performs other training and duties as apparent or assigned.
People manager of the following:
- This position may include some supervision of seasonal employees.
What is encountered while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Exposure to all kinds & types of weather conditions; all temperatures, winds and
- Exposure to dirt, dust, odors, chemicals, vermin, insects, garbage, high noise levels,
- This position will involve night, weekend and holiday work in service to the
Factors affecting how essential functions are successfully performed.
- On a continuous basis must have the ability to lift and carry 75 lbs. from floor to
objects of 100 lbs.
- Frequently must be able to sit in vehicles and equipment, standing and walking for long
- Frequently must be able to grip, push/pull, bend, twist, lift and maneuver objects
- Frequently must be able to grasp and manipulate controls with fingers and coordinate
- Occasionally must be able to crouch, crawl, kneel, work in a confined space, climb,
maneuver and/or work on ladders, stairs and platforms
- 18 Years of age or older
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s License with the ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License with appropriate
- One year experience in construction or maintenance in a similar environment or an equivalent
- Ability to lift and carry 75 lbs. from floor to shoulder level and 50 lbs. from shoulder to overhead and
- Must maintain 90% attendance and availability for call-back work for the duration of the
appointment within applicable work rules and reasonableness
- Post-Secondary education
- Previous municipal or government experience in Public Works and/or Parks
- Previous experience in snow removal
- Commercial Driver’s License
- Training and Experience Rating
- Oral Interview
- Other testing as appropriate
- Must pass a drug test, DOT Exam, and background check
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
100 Civic Center Parkway
Burnsville, MN 55337