New job President & CEO of the Laurentian Chamber of Commerce in Virginia
President & CEO of the Laurentian Chamber of Commerce
Company : Terch & Associates LLC
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Virginia
Terch & Associates LLC, on behalf of the Laurentian Chamber of Commerce, is accepting
applications to fill the position of President and Chief Executive Officer. This position reports
directly to the Laurentian Chamber of Commerce’s Board of Directors and is based in Virginia,
The Chamber President/CEO is responsible for the coordination of all Chamber activities. The
President/CEO manages and directs all phases of planning to accomplish Chamber objectives.
The President/CEO implements Chamber policies, manages all staff and initiates & supports
volunteer activities. The President/CEO will serve as the spokesperson for the Chamber and
represent it at all levels of community and government.
This position will have direct supervisory responsibility of 1-3 other paid staff members.
About the Chamber:
The Laurentian Chamber of Commerce represents the Quad Cities of Eveleth, Gilbert, Mountain
Iron, and Virginia, Minnesota, as well as surrounding business communities on the Iron Range.
The Chamber plays a key role in community partnerships and is an advocate for business
development, retention, and expansion. Our mission is to promote business through education
and advocacy to advance the prosperity of the region.
In accordance with the Chamber bylaws, policies and procedures, and goals established by the
Board of Directors, the President/CEO shall:
• Guide the development of the Chamber’s overall program of work.
• Be responsible for directing and implementing the goals and objectives adopted by the Board of Directors, with the aid of staff and volunteers.
• Recommend policy for consideration by the Board and advise the Board on matters under consideration.
• Recruit, motivate, and direct volunteers either directly or indirectly with staff assistance.
• In collaboration with the Board of Directors, plan long term policies to help achieve
Chamber goals and ensure that policies adopted by the Board are properly interpreted
• In cooperation with or at the direction of the Board, prepare statements of Chamber position on public issues consistent with adopted policy.
• Be responsible for the employment of all staff, including hiring and termination, assign duties, be responsible for staff training, supervision of work, management of time, evaluation of performance and the establishment, within the parameters of the annual
budget, the terms of their employment.
• Work in cooperation with the Treasurer and assigned financial staff to manage the
organization’s finances, including preparing and recommending a draft budget to be
considered by the Board.
• Direct fundraising activities of the Chamber and adjust as needed to meet budget goals.
• Guide staff and volunteers in membership recruitment and retention efforts.
• Work with Board and staff to meet membership goals.
• Advise on needs of membership and monitor membership trends and concerns.
• Advise on dues structures, and work with individual members to establish payment
plans when needed.
• Manage or direct management of facility and equipment to meet office needs of the
Chamber and staff.
• Be responsible for preparation of the agenda, board packets, and implementation of
plans and programs of the Board in accordance with established policy.
• Maintain personal contacts with key community leaders and other stakeholders to assist in meeting Chamber goals.
• Strive to develop public understanding of the goals and objectives of the organization.
• Direct the publication of correspondence, including official Chamber publications, print and electronic media, news releases relevant to the functions of the organization.
• Represent the organization at applicable community meetings.
• Participate in Chamber activities and education programs at the state and national level to attain knowledge that will benefit local Chamber programs.
• Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to speak publicly on behalf of the chamber.
• Ability to manage Chamber staff and volunteers and delegate necessary assignments. Have an understanding of general business practices, operations and needs.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Board of
Directors, employees, committees, members, governmental units, civic groups and the general public.
• Ability to think critically and appraise Chamber proposals and other complex issues.
• Possess a demonstrated commitment to the vision and mission of the Chamber of Commerce.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• At least five (5) years’ experience in a leadership role at a chamber of commerce or other similar civic, community or non-profit organization.
• Proven successes in fundraising and networking within a community.
Based on experience and qualifications.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a list
of three professional references.