New job Deputy State's Attorney -- Clay County, SD in South Dakota
Deputy State's Attorney -- Clay County, SD
Company : Alternative HRD, LLC
Salary : Details not provided
Location : South Dakota
Deputy State s Attorney, Clay County, South Dakota
The Clay County State's Attorney's Office invites applications for a full-time Deputy State's Attorney to perform professional legal services on behalf of the State of South Dakota, Clay County and county departments in criminal and civil court, as well as administrative proceedings. This position serves under the general direction of the Clay County State s Attorney. Duties vary but include the prosecution of criminal cases, juvenile crimes, and juvenile abuse and neglect cases.
Examples of duties include:
- Prepare and manage a caseload of predominantly misdemeanor offenses. Present cases for legal proceedings. Perform legal research. Prepare, draft, and file legal documents and correspondence.
- Caseload will also include juvenile offenses, low-level felonies, and abuse and neglect.
- Review offenses, police reports, and evidence to make determination on charges. Prepare, send, and track subpoenas for witnesses and records. Prepare and interview witnesses for legal proceedings. Appear regularly in court. Select jurors.
- Communicate, correspond, and collaborate with parties involved in cases including victims, parents, school personnel, attorneys, court personnel, and law enforcement regarding procedures and actions for those cases. Respond to inquiries from the public.
- Make recommendations for custody, parental rights, sentences, and restitution for juvenile and magistrate files.
- Stay informed on changes in relevant law and statutes and proposed legislation and policy pertaining to criminal law, juvenile delinquency, and juvenile abuse and neglect.
- Represent the State's Attorney's Office at public, private, and inter-governmental programs and events as directed by the State s Attorney.
- Seek, locate and procure grant funding by completing applications and any necessary reporting associated with said grants.
- Manage adult diversion program and juvenile diversion referral determinations.
- Answer, handle, or direct phone calls and walk-in traffic from the public regarding matters addressed by the office.
- Performs other job-related duties as required by the State s Attorney.
This is not a comprehensive list of duties.
- Graduation from a college of law. Attainment of a Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
- Admission by the Supreme Court of South Dakota to practice law in the state of South Dakota; or be licensed to practice law in any other state and able to take the next available South Dakota bar examination; or be a recent or imminent law school graduate, eligible to sit for the next available South Dakota bar examination.
- Working knowledge of civil and criminal law and methods and practices of pleadings; court procedures and rules of evidence; principles, methods, materials and practices utilized in legal research; and general law and established precedents.
- Ability to prosecute cases.
- Ability to manage large case volume and respond quickly and effectively to changing circumstances.
- Ability to speak and write effectively in the preparation and presentation of legal matters.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, other agencies and the public.
- Ability to maintain professional appearance and demeanor.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment background process.
Preferred Qualifications: Strong written and oral argument skills.
Clay County offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental and vision insurance, SD Supplemental Retirement insurance and paid time off (vacation, sick and holiday)
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
Clay County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.