New job COUNSEL, GOVERNMENT CONTRACTS in North Carolina
COUNSEL, GOVERNMENT CONTRACTS
Company : PPD
Salary : Details not provided
Location : North Carolina
PPD is a leading global contract research organization providing comprehensive, integrated drug development, laboratory and lifecycle management services. At PPD, we are passionate, deliberate, and driven by our purpose- to improve health!
About the Department:
Our colleagues in Corporate Legal strive for excellence in every task, at every moment. We are game changers seeking improvements to processes and more efficient ways of working or adapting to changing financial and industry environments.
About the Position:
The Counsel, Government Contracts provides legal advice and support in the drafting, review and negotiation of agreements, with a primary focus on U.S. Government-funded agreements (including prime, sub-prime, and associated third-party agreements)
About our Culture, Career Advancement and Benefits:
At PPD we hire the best, develop ourselves and each other, and recognize the power of being one team. We offer continued career advancement opportunities, award winning training and benefits focused on the health and well-being of our employees.
This role manages and negotiates language for complex agreements (e.g. MSAs, teaming agreements, quality agreements and other unique non-standard contracts). In addition to contracts, provides guidance and handles department matters and general legal concerns raised by internal customers and senior management, which may include, without limitation, interpretation of U.S. Government terms and conditions to support compliant operational, financial and contractual operations, initial dispute correspondence with clients and third-party contractors, and other legal matters arising from contractual relationships. Leads the implementation of process improvement opportunities and oversees junior members of the department.
- With minimal oversight, provides legal advice and represents PPD in legal matters.
- Prepares, negotiates and finalizes PPD agreements (as defined herein) and/or other related documentation.
- Assesses legal risks and provides recommendations and alternative mitigating resolutions to departmental management and senior management. Makes recommendations to Executive Management with regard to risks, strategies and recommendations upon request.
- Uses experience and expertise to identify and mitigate risks where possible and ensure senior management are apprised of any remaining risks with the information necessary to make an informed business decision.
- Provides oversight and mentoring to more junior members of the department. Assists in other legal matters and participates in committees as needed.
- Provides training to other functional groups within PPD on contract requirements and other legal matters.
- Understands and adheres to PPD and Client SOPs, WPDs and other governmental regulations for all aspects of project implementation, execution and closeout.
The ideal candidate will have strong knowledge and understanding of U.S Government contracting process, requirements, and regulations including without limitation, knowledge and experience with Federal Acquisition Regulations, with specific emphasis on the Health and Human Services (HHSAR) and Department of Defense (DFAR) supplements.
Education and experience:
Bachelor's degree and advanced degree in law (juris doctorate or equivalent educational model in other jurisdictions).
Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 5+ years), including experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating U.S. Government-funded contracts and associated third party agreements
Knowlegde, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of U.S. Government contracting process, requirement, and regulations including without limitation knowledge and understanding of Federal Acquisition Regulations, with specific emphasis on the Health and Human Services (HHSAR) and Department of Defense (DFAR) supplements.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and strong attention to detail with proven ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and effectively
- Must be flexible and able to reprioritize workload to meet changing project needs
- Skillful and proven MS Excel and MS Word skills
- Excellent English and grammar skills
- Superb analytical and decision based thinking
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills that requires little to no oversight
- Must be able to work independently and as a team player
- Must be able to identify risk, evaluate fact patterns to advise on the application of the law and provide direction to other departments
- Must be able to supervise work product and timeliness of, and provide direction and training to, more junior employees within the departmets
- Ability to apply knowledge of and adhere to all PPD and Client SOPs, WPDs and other regulations in all aspects of project implementation, execution and closeout
- Advises senior and executive management on complex legal matters and issues
- No management responsibility
PPD values the health and well-being of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
- Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
- Able to work upright and stationary for typical working hours.
- Ability to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
- Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
- May require minimal as-needed travel (under 10%)
PPD Defining Principles:
- We have a strong will to win - We earn our customer’s trust - We are game changers - We do the right thing - We are one PPD
If you resonate with our five principles above, and ultimately wish to accelerate the delivery of safe and effective therapeutics for some of the world’s most urgent health needs, then please submit your application – we would love to hear from you.