New job ACCOUNTANT in Indiana
Company : US Department of Defense
Salary : $77,488 - $104,970 a year
Location : Indiana
Who may apply: Current, permanent DFAS employees in the competitive service and eligible Priority Placement Program DoD Military Spouses Preference applicants.
- Provides enterprise audit readiness advisory services and support to the operational/functional elements.
- Provides professional accounting services, project management and operational remediation work for the Sites.
- Performs quick response reviews and examinations, consulting and advisory services, risk management, liaison for internal and external audit organizations, audit compliance.
- Applies comprehensive knowledge of analysis/reporting requirements, accounting systems structure, interfaces of data from financial and non-financial systems/data bases to accounting systems/data bases, to resolve accounting problems.
- Provides supports to the Project Manager for Statement on Standards for Attestation Engagements (SSAE16s) and Operations? Internal Control and Risk Management Program (iControl) providing analysis and assessment.
- Provides recommendations to the development and execution of project management plans, including project charters, risk management, communication, procurement plans, staffing and organizational structures, and project schedules.
- Monitors results of Audit Reports provided by Government Accounting Office (GAO), Department of Defense Inspector General (DoDIG), Internal Review (IR), Managers Internal Control Program (MICP) compliance, statement of assurance and fraud detection.
50% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
- Accountants And Auditors
- Auditors, Field
- Auditors, Internal
- Field Auditors
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for Federal employment
- Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service.
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- Time in Grade Requirement - see the Qualifications field below for more details.
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
QualificationsThis position has a positive education requirement. To qualify for this position you must meet one of the basic requirements described below:
(1) Completion of all requirements for a bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. OR
(2) Candidates may also qualify through a combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of accounting experience or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND 24 semester hours in accounting/auditing courses, which may include up to 6 hours of business law, OR a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor.
You may need to send proof of education or of certification to be considered for this position. Click here for more information on who must submit documentation at the time of application and what documentation is acceptable: Transcripts and Certifications.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement, qualified applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade (GS-11) in the Federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Specialized experience includes: reviewing, analyzing and auditing a wide variety of accounting documents, reports, policies and procedures pertaining to multiple appropriation accounts, within one or more accounting systems or subsystems; Providing professional accounting services to include preparation, examination, analysis, presentation and interpretation of accounting data records and reports; Analyzing accounting systems or modifying existing systems; Enhancing the validity, accuracy, and integrity of accounting processes.
Time-in-Grade: Current or former federal employees who have held a GS position in the preceding 52 weeks, must meet the time in grade requirement. Applicant must have served 52 weeks as a GS-11 or higher grade in Federal Service.
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience at this grade level.
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
- Moving expenses will not be paid.
- The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 makes certain reimbursements/payments taxable. For information on these changes and the Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA), for which some appointees are eligible, click here.
- For positions where relocation is paid (see Location block of vacancy announcement), you can learn more about relocation allowances and entitlements.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is 25-49%.
- This position iscovered by a bargaining unit.
- Level 2: This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 2 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 2 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at https://www.dfas.mil/Portals/98/Documents/Careers/CareerPaths/Finance/DoDFMCertificationProgram.pdf?ver=2020-04-13-164314-517.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated based upon information you provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If a determination is made that the work experience described in your submitted resume does not support your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire, your score may be reduced, and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are already a DFAS employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including removal from Federal service, if you are found to have exaggerated, embellished, inflated, mischaracterized, or falsified your resume or qualifications.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Accounting Analysis
- Concepts, Policies, and Principles of Accounting
- Decision Support
- Project Management
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11096470
DFAS recognizes the value of competencies gained through formal education and professional certifications. To ensure that consistent credit is given for these credentials in the selection process, DFAS has developed standard selection criteria to be used when filling positions in professional and administrative series. Selections for professional and administrative positions will be based on four categories of selection criteria: Experience, Other, Education, and Certifications.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Resume: You are encouraged to choose only ONE method of submitting your resume. (HR will review the resume that the system date stamps as the latest one received and this may not be the resume, which best reflects your qualifications for the job and may result in an ineligible rating.) You may submit your resume by: attaching in your USAJOBS account; uploading in your Application Manager account; OR faxing. For assistance in preparing your resume, take a look at the DFAS Resume Tools.
2. Complete Assessment Questionnaire: Your resume must describe the quality of work in regards to responses to the occupational self-assessment questionnaire as they generate your numerical rating.
3. Other Supporting Documents.
The following supporting documents are ONLY required if applicable to your personal qualifications or status. They must be received by the closing date of the announcement
1. Transcripts and/or Certifications: You must submit documentation if you are substituting education for experience. For additional information on acceptable documents or to see if you must submit documentation click here Transcripts and Certifications. You must also document your education and/or certifications in your resume.
2. SF-50: With the exception of current permanent DFAS employees, current or former federal employees must submit a Notification of Personnel Action reflecting the highest grade held on a permanent basis, tenure and appointment type.
3. You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or eligibility.
4. Military Spouses: Spousal Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, marriage certificate/license and the Self-Certification form are required to claim Military Spouse Preference.
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by 11:59 PM (EST) , 05/14/2021 or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
Internal to an agency
Current federal employees of this agency.
Clarification from the agency
Current, permanent DFAS employees in the competitive service and eligible Priority Placement Program DoD Military Spouses Preference applicants.