New job Tractor Operator in Hawaii
Company : US Department of Agriculture
Salary : $24.53 - $28.62 an hour
Location : Hawaii
This position is located within the Agricultural Research Service, Tropical Plant Genetic Resources & Disease Research Unit in Hilo, HI.
The incumbent will be responsible for operating field type tractors having 4 wheels and up to 8 forward gears while making multiple connections and adjustments such as setting the depth of plow blades, height of mower blades, and height/angle of tractor mounted tree pruners.
- Operates field type tractor having 4 wheels and up to 8 forward gears steered with a conventional steering wheel.
- Sets the depth of plow blades, height of mower blades, and height and angle of tractor mounted tree pruners typically operated with hydraulic or manual controls.
- Makes difficult judgments concerning tractor operations in selecting gears, power settings, and speeds for equipment operations and the order in which the work is to be accomplished.
- Makes multiple connections between the tractor and attached or towed equipment which require skill and knowledge to hook up and align more difficult connections such as mechanical drive shafts and hydraulic lines for power and control systems.
- Performs the work according to established methods or special instructions such as the depth to be plowed, spacing between furrows, and mowing height and tree pruning heights.
- Has knowledge of both tractor and equipment operating characteristics such as tractor gears, power ratios, braking and turning capacities, and equipment power requirements, capacities and operating speeds.
- Determines if tractor and equipment is not in working order and safely determine if repairs or maintenance is needed.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
5705 Tractor Operating
- Operators, Tractor
- Tractor Operators
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a US Citizen or US National
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Direct Deposit ? Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify at https://www.e-verify.gov/
QualificationsIn order to qualify for this position you must meet the following by the closing date of the vacancy announcement:
04/08/2021Qualifications will be determined under the Job Element Rating System X-118C, Qualifications Standard Handbook. While a specific length of time and experience is not required for most Wage Grade positions, you must show through experience and training that you possess the best qualified level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of this position. Qualification requirements emphasize the quality of experience, not necessarily the length. The responses to the questionnaire and your resume should be in significant detail to provide the person rating your application with a good understanding of your ability to do the job, technical knowledge, work, and training experience, etc. (For example You must have the ability to perform the duties of a, Tractor Operator without more than normal supervision (Screen Out)). Applicants who do not meet the SCREEN OUT ELEMENT will not be given further consideration.
In addition to work which typically requires frequent arm and leg movements to operate tractor controls, the operator has to manipulate equipment controls.
Work is usually performed outside. The operator is constantly exposed to unpleasant noise levels and vibration and severe jolting from the tractor and towed vehicles. Outside work often exposes the operator to long periods of hot sun and occasionally to bad weather. May be exposed to chemical dust and sprays and may need to wear protective clothing and respirators. Must follow prescribed safety practices and use safety equipment to avoid injury and possible hazards in the work area.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP), Reemployment Priority List (RPL), or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): Visit the OPM website for information on how to apply as a CTAP, RPL, or ICTAP eligible. To exercise selection priority for this vacancy, CTAP/RPL/ICTAP candidates must meet the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors. CTAP/ICTAP candidates must be rated and determined to be well qualified (or above) based on an evaluation of the competencies listed in the How You Will Be Evaluated section. When assessed through a score-based category rating method, CTAP/ICTAP applicants must receive a rating of at least 85 out of a possible 100.
Recruitment or Relocation Incentive may be authorized. Final determination to pay an incentive will be made by the hiring official at time of job offer.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applications will be evaluated in accordance with Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) Delegated Examining Procedures and USDA policy using category rating. Applicants who meet basic minimum qualifications will be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Category placement will be determined based on applicants' quality of experience and the extent they possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA) or competencies:
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Operation of Motor Vehicles
- Work Practices (includes keeping things neat, clean, and in order)
- Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (related to mobile equipment operation)
- Ability to Drive Safely (Motor Vehicles)
- Ability To Operate Safely (Non-Motor Vehicle)
- Reliability and Dependability as a Tractor Operator
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities, or you may be found ineligible. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Providing inaccurate information on Federal documents could be grounds for non-selection or disciplinary action up to including removal from the Federal service.
Clicking the link below will present a preview of the application form; i.e. the online questionnaire. The application form link below will only provide a preview and does not initiate the application process. To initiate the online application process, click the "Apply" button to the right.
To view the application form, visit:https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11075613
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents are required for your applicant package to be complete. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, your system failure, etc. Encrypted documents will not be accepted. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
- Resume that includes:1) personal information such as name, address, contact information; 2) education; 3) detailed work experience related to this position as described in the major duties including work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment; title, series, grade (if applicable); 4) other qualifications.
- If claiming veteran's preference, you must submit a DD214, Certificate of Release from Active Duty, which shows dates of service and discharge under honorable conditions. If currently on active duty you must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. Veteran's preference must be verified prior to appointment. Without this documentation, you will not receive veteran's preference and your application will be evaluated based on the material(s) submitted.
- If claiming 10-point veteran's preference you must provide the DD214 or certification requirements (see above bullet), plus the proof of entitlement of this preference as listed on the SF-15 Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference. The SF-15 should be included but is not required. Failure to submit these documents could result in the determination that there is insufficient documentation to support your claim for 10-point preference. For more information on veterans' preference visit FEDSHIREVETS
- Surplus or displaced employees eligible for CTAP, RPL, or ICTAP priority must provide: proof of eligibility (RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a transfer of function or directed reassignment to another commuting area, notice of disability annuity termination), SF-50 documenting separation (as applicable), and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location with your application per 5 CFR 330.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.