New job Senior Construction Inspector in Des Moines, IA 50317
Senior Construction Inspector
Company : City of Des Moines, IA
Salary : $31.38 - $37.51 an hour
Location : Des Moines, IA 50317
Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under direction, to inspect a variety of public works construction projects and private construction work within the city right-of-way of varying size and complexity; and performs related work as required.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from high school and four years of responsible experience in public works construction, or any equivalent combination in which education and experience are interchangeable at the rate of one year of education for one year of experience.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued by the state of Iowa or ability to acquire the same within a reasonable timeframe.
Required Special Qualifications
- Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer physical examination and drug screen.
- Possession of Level I Portland Cement Concrete, Hot Mixed Asphalt Sampler Certification from the Iowa Department of Transportation and ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade I, or ability to acquire the same within twelve months of appointment.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Performs inspection services on a wide range of municipal construction projects and private construction work within the city right-of-way such as streets, sewers, drainage and storm water facilities, bridges, buildings, sidewalks and other improvements to assure that construction details conform to plans and specifications;
- Notifies design engineer of discovered design-related issues and/or contractor design change requests;
- Performs various field and laboratory tests such as air entrainment, slump, temperature, depth, and density including nuclear, sieve analyses, and compression strength to assure that workmanship and materials meet contract specifications;
- Makes field determination and notification to the contractor of non-complying work or materials;
- Verifies elevation and other measurements necessary to assure that excavations, backfilling, grading, compaction, alignments, slopes, grades, and elevations are proper;
- Inspects and prepares evaluation and condition reports on bridges;
- Inspects public sidewalks, identifies defects or hazardous conditions, issues notices to repair, and verifies repairs have been made;
- Maintains records and prepares detailed daily diaries and inspection reports on pertinent construction activities for all necessary documentation requirements;
- Prepares written reports that document compliance or non?compliance of construction materials;
- Develops and maintains records of construction quantities installed by contractors on a daily basis and confirm construction quantities with contractors on a weekly basis;
- Investigates and responds to citizen complaints and responds to questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner. Testifies before the City Hearing Office on appeals and in court when civil infractions are prosecuted;
- Performs routine clerical and laboratory work;
- May supervise seasonal inspectors;
- Performs related duties as required.