New job Product Manager in Vermont
Company : KING ARTHUR FLOUR
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Vermont
Meet Us: King Arthur Baking Company is an award-winning, audience-leading baking company with a strategic vision to be the resource for baking education and inspiration. Through traditional and new media, in-person and virtual education, we strive to be a leader in helping novice and expert bakers alike. We're not going anywhere - we've been part of the family since 1790. We work to build stronger communities and increase access and the connection to real foods. We take pride in our responsible sourcing and our "never bleached" guarantee. And we work closely with farmers, millers, and suppliers in a continued commitment toward sustainability. Our wheat flour is grown and milled right here in the United States. Flour this good uses only the purest ingredients, free from GMOs. As a founding B Corporation, we are committed to using the power of business as a force for social and environmental good. We believe every employee's contributions make our company what it is: vibrant, successful, and committed to spreading the joy of baking. We are a welcoming and inclusive 100% employee-owned company.
The Position: The Product Manager is responsible for the leadership of Assistant Product Managers and manages all aspects of product selection, development and assortment planning for the Consumables product categories and drives profit and growth in print, online and stores. The individual in this role leverages their skills in efficiency and negotiating within their primary functions of product buying, initial sourcing, testing, vendor negotiations, and multi-channel selling strategy.
The Location: This role will be located onsite in White River Junction VT, with potential for occasional remote work.
The Benefits: Yes, we have the regular "stuff" - medical, dental, vision, company paid short- and long-term disability, life insurance, paid time off to rest, paid holidays to have fun, a 401(K) with a company match. But here's what makes us different: 40 paid volunteer hours a year, profit sharing*, participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)* and knowing that those working with you are dedicated and engaged co-employee owners that believe in you and your extraordinary abilities to move us all forward.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Manages categories across D2C omni channel, creates product assortment and category plans; develops presentations, and communicates selling strategy
- Partners with Web Merchant for channel optimization
- Sources, selects and negotiates costs for new ingredients and mixes; partners with Manufacturing to agree on packaging, product size, relevant product documentation and points of differentiation and the inclusion of country of origin on all products.
- Presents seasonal assortments to Demand Planning, indicates importance of items within assortments, business drivers, features, and marketing plans for inventory management, enabling effective projections and reorders.
- Drives product pricing based on comprehensive understanding of market value, cost, competition, and relative value within assortment; meets or often exceeds category margin targets
- Develops and maintains vendor relations; negotiates pricing, price breaks, shipping, minimums, terms, discounts and allowances
- Ensures high product quality throughout the selection process, including testing prior to selection and leading resolution of quality issues as they arise; collaborates with Sourcing and R&D to identify and recommend suitable substitute ingredients
- Keeps current with trends and new products through self-education of trade publications, vendor-supplied information, relevant web-based sources, consumer insight and attending trade shows
- Oversees Assistant Product Manager responsibilities with incoming samples and product testing
- Manages the innovation of new direct-to-consumer products, including the development process, private label products, ingredients, packaging and labeling, from concept to production
- Leads seasonal product presentations to cross functional departments and serves as liaison with teams such as Product Development, Brand, Social, Marketing, Manufacturing, Creative, Purchasing, Retail and Customer Service
- Analyzes category and item performance to make informed decisions about assortment, pricing, and omni channel selection (catalogue, web, retail)
- Works with data, business tools, consumer insights, trends and creativity to drive product decisions
- Follows well established processes and best practices to guide the prioritization of innovation and product development
Openly communicates team and individual expectations and concerns
- Is readily accessible, willing to listen and seeking to understand
- Engages their team: motivating, directing, inspiring and involving them in decisions
- Nurtures growth in others by supporting their passions, strengths and work styles
- Maintains employee attitude and morale by recognizing outstanding performance and managing performance issues
Minimum job requirements
Bachelor’s degree with 5 years relevant work experience in merchandising/product management in the food industry
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications, Excel and Word
- Experience in AX, Asana, Google docs, Analytic and Project management tools
- Ability to work on multiple tasks, prioritize and meet changing deadlines while still producing high quality work
- Ability to negotiate best pricing agreements and develop strong vendor partner relationships
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with peers to develop well thought-out solutions that enhance the brand;
- Strong time management skills and effective communication skills
- Thinks strategically and excels at attention to detail
Success factors/competencies for this role
- Open to change, recommends actions for continuous improvement
- Thinks and acts strategically, understands how their role contributes to larger outcomes
- Provides exemplary customer service to both internal and external customers
- Sets high standards for oneself, meet deadlines
- Learns from mistakes, receptive to feedback
- Effective communicator, listens and respects others’ points of view
- Participates in team problem solving and decision making
- Maintains a positive attitude
- Is community minded – gets involved, volunteers
Physical requirements/work environment
- Must be able to work at a computer for up to 8 hours a day.
- Must be able to stand for up to 8 hours a day.
- Must be able to implement displays, visuals, signage and seasonal decor, occasionally lifting up to 20 pounds.
- Open office environment
- Remote work environment
- Trade show environment
- Air travel to vendor location’s environment
- Understands that safety is the responsibility of everyone at the organization
- Responsible for providing a safe and ergonomically sound work environment, identifying unsafe conditions and correcting these conditions immediately
- Engages in safety and compliance training programs and encourage 100% team participation in same
- Adheres to company-wide green norms, looks for ways to reduce, reuse, recycle
- Educates oneself on KAB environmental campaigns
- Strives to continually improve and implement new processes to reduce our environmental impact
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
There's room at our table for you! Apply today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors protected by law. King Arthur Flour provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities to allow them to participate in both the application process and during employment. Such individuals are encouraged to seek accommodations to allow them to apply for a position, participate in the application process, and meet the essential functions and requirements of the position.
- Amounts vary based achievement of financial targets. Participation based on hire date and program entry date.