New job Police Technician in Minnesota
Company : City of Coon Rapids
Salary : $25.53 an hour
Location : Minnesota
The Police Technician position provides a variety of routine and complex administrative clerical support for Police Department activities that requires processing and maintaining confidential and sensitive information. This position will act as the back up receptionist assisting walk-ins and routing phone calls. If you enjoy being a team player, are detailed orientated, and enjoy managing multiple tasks, then we want to hear from you!
Police Record System
- Classifies (codes) and processes all police incidents.
- Enters and updates required data into Department's record system in accordance with the requirements set forth by the Anoka County Records User Group.
- Ensures Criminal Justice Reporting System (CJRS) data integrity in accordance with NCIC and BCA standards.
- Enters and updates required data on citations and parking tickets.
- Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA)/Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Completes monthly validation reports as required by state and federal agencies.
- Conducts criminal history, driver license and motor vehicle registration checks.
- Enters, updates and cancels required data into the MNCIS/NCIC system (Hot Files).
- Sends messages to other law enforcement agencies via teletype.
- Transcribe and Case File Assembly
- Transcribes taped statements, interviews, supplements, telephone calls, etc.
- Assembles case files according to Department procedures.
- Answers incoming police lines, resolves caller inquiries and routes calls appropriately.
- Assists citizen walk-ins, processes inquiries and directs persons to appropriate personnel.
- Uses non-emergency police radio to make contact with patrol, investigators and supervisors.
- Pages on the telephone paging system in a professional manner.
- Effective and respectful communication and interactions with other employees, supervisors, individuals from other organizations, and citizen customers.
- Scans reports and other materials.
- Evidence Tasks
- Conducts background checks in the police records system.
- Responds to routine records requests.
- Files reports appropriately.
- Checks items sold to pawn shops in the Automated Pawn System (APS).
- Assists in maintaining the property and evidence rooms.
- Processes Handgun Permits to Purchase.
- Performs miscellaneous typing, copying, faxing, filing, scanning and microfilm searches for Department personnel and public as requested.
- Releases towed vehicles.
- Follows oral and written instructions such as supervisor's work orders and equipment operation manuals.
- Regular and reliable attendance during scheduled work hours and outside regular hours as necessary.
- Maintains positive professional working relationships with all staff levels, other jurisdictions and outside agencies, and the general public.
- Performs essential position duties and responsibilities under the working conditions and physical demands described herein.
- Performs other related functions as apparent or delegate.
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard office practices, policies and guidelines.
- Ability to understand and follow the guidelines of the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act as applicable to the Coon Rapids Police Department.
- Ability to communicate clearly using Police radio.
- Ability to perform job functions with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work independently with self-motivation and effective time management.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks, work effectively under pressure, and complete work in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ability to work effectively independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to compose clear, grammatically correct sentences, paragraphs and reports.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Onenote
- Skill in operation of copy and fax machines, digital dictation equipment, computers, telephones, police radios and scanners.
- Ability to maintain State computer terminal operator's certification.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Handles confidential information appropriately.
- Ability to work cooperatively with City personnel, external vendors, and the public.
- Ability to perform duties with tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Ability to be detail oriented and follow through with tasks.
- Ability to maintain a team and service oriented approach to work.
- Must have the ability to accept criticism or discipline.
- Must strive to promote a cooperative atmosphere in the department and exhibit a positive attitude.
Maintain and foster a work environment that supports the City's mission and values with a respectful, collaborative and innovative employee culture that values employee growth, personal balance and contagious enthusiasm.
- Service - We value outstanding service. Our City deserves the best.
- Trust - Trust means everything. Be accountable. Be transparent.
- Teamwork - Teamwork allows us to accomplish more. We tackle challenges and celebrate successes together.
- Innovation - Innovation is vital for our future. We are not afraid of new ideas.
- Excellence - It's the expectation.
High school diploma or equivalent plus at least one (1) year work relevant to the position. Ability to work effectively and courteously with the public is essential. Ability to accurately type 60 wpm and proficiency in digital transcription required.
Two years of responsible office experience preferred.
Knowledge of offense and calls for service classification codes, according to FBI and State guidelines.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions and frequently requires standing, walking, occasionally requires climbing or balancing, stooping kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling and lifting; work requires close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus, depth perception, color perception and peripheral vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles and exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Duties performed will include the use of office supplies and equipment. Exposure to computer monitors in the office is typical. This position works closely with others. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must comply with organizational and departmental policies.
The City of Coon Rapids is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.