New job MVD ASSISTANT in New Mexico
Company : City of Hobbs
Salary : $14.00 - $16.10 an hour
Location : New Mexico
Makes first contact with public relating to driver's licenses and vehicle titles either in person or on the phone. Answers questions regarding state regulations on these matters.
- Examines vehicle title and registration documents for out of state vehicles to assure compliance with state laws.
- Performs research on out of state documents as needed.
- Registers all types of motor vehicles, trailers, motorcycles, and boats. Performs physical inspections on all out of state vehicles to verify VIN numbers match title and registration documents.
- Inspects homemade trailers to assure they meet state requirements.
- Processes driver's licenses and administers computer, vision, and road tests.
- Processing payments for each transaction.
- Answering phone calls from the general public and private entities.
May serve on various employee committees, as required and assigned.
These duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements or duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignments to the position.
The position is subject to the City of Hobbs' Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy which includes one or more of the following: pre-employment testing, post accident testing, random testing, reasonable suspicion testing, return to duty testing and follow-up testing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent required. Previous experience working with the public preferred. Previous money handling experience preferred. Bilingual preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Skill in basic personal computer operation.
- Some knowledge of cars, trucks, recreational vehicles, motorcycles, trailers, boats, heavy vehicles and mobile homes.
- Ability to learn state laws and regulations related to driver's licenses and motor vehicle records.
- Ability to perform duties with a high degree of attention to detail with a very high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to deal with the public during a high percentage of the workday on matters where the public often becomes frustrated and/or irate.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with motor vehicle staff and the general public.
LICENSING AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Valid state issued driver's license.
- Ability to obtain state vehicle identification number (VIN) certification within 30 days of hire.
- Ability to obtain Notary Public Certification within one year of hire.
- Must be able to be bondable upon hire.
- Must be current with all personal tax reporting and payments.
- Employment is subject to pre-employment criminal background check including fingerprint check.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to work in a seated position at a computer terminal for extended periods of time.
The employee is occasionally required to lift and move boxes to keep storage room organized.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Employee needs to be able to walk outside the building to perform vehicle inspections and field driving tests. Vehicle inspections require ability to contort body to unusual positions and climb on larger vehicles or equipment in order to read VIN numbers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The office environment is hectic and relatively noisy. Outside duties are performed regardless of weather conditions.