New job Manager, Program(s) in Utah
Company : University of Utah
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Utah
Manages all aspects of horticulture maintenance and development of garden displays, collections, natural areas and related areas; develops and enforces policies, manages departmental budget and supervises a variety of skilled staff.
This position is Category I: Mandatory Required on Campus or at Health Care Facilities as long as you are healthy without Covid-19 symptoms, with the ability to telecommute occasionally.Responsibilities
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
1. Proposes budget required for garden care; directs budgetary expenditures to ensure priorities are met within the funds available. Annual personnel budget of just over $1.9M. Non-personnel budget of $400,000, with 56 specific expense accounts. Executive Director must approve un-budgeted needs.
2. Makes and/or approves any and all maintenance care decisions, prioritizing, planning, timing, methods, etc for the maintenance and care of the Garden which includes 17 acres of intensive displays and 100 acres of natural areas with 4 miles of hiking trails.
3. Assures that garden maintenance duties don’t negatively impact other garden functions, i.e. Concerts, scheduled private events, festivals, etc.
4. Assures that persons applying pesticides at the Garden have a current Pesticide Applicators License, are following established application practices, and applying at appropriate times.
5. Develops Horticulture department policies and procedures for executive director comment and approval; enforces Garden and University of Utah policies and procedures, and recommendations of various garden committees.
6. Hires benefited staff and disciplines staff in concert with Human Resources procedures and in communication with executive director.
7. Makes recommendations on future garden construction projects to the Director, particularly emphasizing design and installation issues that minimize maintenance costs. Approves plant lists for the development of garden displays and collections.
8. Incumbent must manage the challenges of maintaining outdoor facilities and gardens at the highest level allowed by available resources, while ensuring a safe environment for staff and visitors and minimizing conflicts with scheduled private events and garden programs.
9. Incumbent must assist in designing, and overseeing the construction of new facilities and gardens that meet the needs of a growing public, meet state codes and requirements, can be maintained within available resources, and exhibit a high level of aesthetics.
10. Incumbent must constantly prioritize maintenance goals within limited resources.
11. Incumbent must always gather and consider facts when addressing problems and issues of personnel discipline.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education). Four to six years of progressively more responsible management experience. Background knowledge of hiring department’s area of specialization in order to analyze, plan and draw conclusions for recommendations to superiors. Demonstrated leadership skills in planning and directing employees and processes in order to effectively monitor and develop subordinates and to ensure the smooth operation of department. Completion of provided supervisory training within one year of employment may be required. Master’s degree in a related area may be preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.Preferences
A Masters Degree in the above area is preferred.Type Benefited Staff Special Instructions Summary