New job Head of Government Relations and Advocacy in New York
Head of Government Relations and Advocacy
Company : Etsy
Salary : Details not provided
Location : New York
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
We are seeking an experienced professional to lead Etsy's global government affairs and public policy strategy. At Etsy, we advocate for public policies that support Etsy’s business goals, enable global e-commerce, support creative entrepreneurship, and champion our Impact goals around economic empowerment, equity, and ecological sustainability. We prioritize connecting Etsy sellers with the policy-makers that represent them, and advocate for collaborative policy solutions that use the power of the public and private sectors to address our shared challenges.
You will lead our Advocacy team, positioning Etsy as a credible voice on micro-business and technology issues, and advancing our policy goals around the globe. Are you an independent self-starter, comfortable developing high-level strategy, delving into policy particulars, and brainstorming nitty gritty campaign tactics? If so, this could be the perfect match.
Let's keep commerce human together!
This is a full-time position based in Brooklyn, NY, and reports to the Chief Legal Officer.
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
About the Role:
In this role you will:
- Lead a small and collaborative international team of government affairs professionals, working to advance Etsy’s policy priorities. This team sits within the broader Policy - Advocacy - Legal (“PALs”) team.
- Act as a mentor to the members of the Advocacy team, as well as all those in the broader PALs team.
- Lead all aspects of Etsy’s global government affairs strategy, including evaluating risks and opportunities, setting short and long-term priorities, and using diverse tactics such as direct lobbying, earned media, seller activation, thought leadership, and external partnerships to shift the public debate and advance those goals.
- Oversee comprehensive campaigns in Etsy’s core markets, including the US, EU, UK, Germany, Canada, and India, as well as via international institutions, working with partners in and outside Etsy to frame and reframe issues to advance our agenda.
- Educate and advise Etsy senior leadership on policy issues that could impact Etsy and our community in our core markets, keeping other relevant internal partners informed and involved as needed
- Develop a nuanced understanding of Etsy’s business model, growth strategy, and seller community, to inform identification, prioritization and positioning on global policy issues, ranging from tech policy to the challenges facing micro-businesses
- Work with internal partners to articulate and share Etsy’s position on priority policy issues
- Support identification of strategic targets and oversee Etsy’s efforts to build strong and long-lasting relationships with policymakers
- Support company engagement with government officials, trade associations, coalitions, and lobbying firms as needed
- Represent Etsy at meetings, events, conferences, and panels
- Support executive team engagement with the government officials
- Champion Etsy seller community engagement in policy campaigns and provide support to community-led initiatives
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Ideally you will have:
- 15+ years of experience working in government and public affairs, and a strong point of view on what makes effective campaigns succeed.
- Experience managing a team, with a love of mentoring your team and enabling learning and growth.
- Significant experience working within a government agency or organization, ideally at a senior level.
- Deep knowledge of US and EU policy processes, with experience operating in multiple jurisdictions
- Professional communicator and an outstanding writer, able to quickly synthesize the key points and communicate compelling messages to a wide range of audiences, both internal and external.
- Excellent strategy chops, with the ability to assess the landscape, set goals, prioritize tactics, and mobilize a team to effectively execute on them.
- Expertise in issues affecting the technology sector, e-commerce, and the self-employed (e.g. intermediary liability, platform competition, product safety, privacy, trade, net neutrality, portable benefits, etc.) and the shifting global landscape on these issues.
- You are a leader with vision in your field and a specialist in tactics used to shape the public narrative and policy debate in a broad range of jurisdictions.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and multiple partners, executing strategies, delivering solutions, and leading cross-functional projects.
- Strong attention to detail, with excellent organizational, prioritization and multi-tasking skills.
- You exercise good judgement and discretion.
- Passionate about Etsy’s mission and empowering our community of sellers to advocate for themselves on issues they care about.
- A trust in and dedication to Etsy’s vision, mission and values.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.