New job Facilities Environmental Compliance Specialist in New Mexico
Facilities Environmental Compliance Specialist
Company : Bernalillo County Government
Salary : $40,581 - $54,288 a year
Location : New Mexico
Under general direction of the Director of Fleet Facilities Management, proactively engage collaborate and support all levels of the organization to promote and educate on facilities environmental and safety initiatives. Perform various tasks and assignment related to compliance with Federal, State and local environmental regulations and laws which include but are not limited to: best practices, Occupational Health and Safety Act (OSHA), American's with Disabilities Act (ADA) related to building compliance, regulatory agencies for abating potential and apparent environmental hazards found in County buildings and/or facilities (asbestos/lead based paint), facilitation of awareness programs and training workshops, assist in planning, program development initiatives and reporting, and monitoring program goals and objectives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assess and maintain accurate and timely reporting of safety and environmental issues through all phases of construction and remodeling projects Countywide in accordance with OSHA regulations and laws.
- Assist in the development and management of environmental hazards programs which include but are not limited to: asbestos/lead based paint assessment and abatement; sampling and remediation processes and database programs for monitoring and reporting measures required by regulatory agencies and pertinent County policies.
- Monitor and provide OSHA compliance requirements support which includes but is not limited to: establishment of effective relationships with departmental representatives; provide informational workshops and documentation for on-going awareness; ensure compliance with the respiratory protection program and other associated initiatives.
- Prepare reports, including conclusions and recommendations to supervisor for various programs.
- Report project status using a variety of methods to departmental representatives.
- Assist in the development of the Facility Condition Index database for effective monitoring and reporting of activities and program objectives.
- Actively participate and assist in departmental safety meetings.
- Coordinate and ensure proper disposal of hazardous waste and maintain accurate reporting for County facilities.
- Coordinate the issuance of air quality permits as needed for facility operations in accordance with regulations and laws.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
- Associate degree in health and safety related field from an accredited institution plus five (5) years work experience in industrial and/or construction health and safety compliance.
- OR any combination of post-secondary education and/or work experience totaling seven (7) years in industrial and/or construction, to include health and safety compliance.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to handle effectively multiple concurrent assignments, and activities.
- Proficiency in the use of Windows-based word processing, spreadsheet, and database software and in the development and maintenance of application data.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with other departments, co-workers, supervisors and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written English, to prepare accurate, concise, complete, and informative written materials, and to make effective presentations to small or large groups.
- Ability to work under pressure and interact professionally with management, staff and elected officials.
- Ability to maintain objectivity and confidentiality in dealing with a variety of complex and potentially sensitive projects.
- Knowledge of basic recordkeeping procedures, laws, regulations and standards.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating problems and providing recommendations for solutions.
SCREENING AND COMPLIANCE
The offer of this Bernalillo County position requires compliance with the following:
- Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination.
- Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.
- Employee must possess a valid New Mexico Driver's License by employment and retain a valid New Mexico Driver's License while employed in this position.
- Within the probationary period of nine (9) months from date of hire, must successfully complete and maintain appropriate certifications for: 1) National Organization of Remediators and Mold Inspectors (NORMI, QMI certification which requires an eight (8) hour "Qualified Mold Inspector Training and Certification"; EPA/OSHA Level II Asbestos O and M Training' EPA Lead Safe Certification Program Renovation Repair and Painting Training which requires eight hours (8) of training; and 2) OSHA 500 or 501 certification.
- Essential job duties are performed indoors in climate controlled environment.
- Exposure to natural weather conditions when performing outside assignments.
- Outdoor duties may be either wet or dry. Outdoor duties may be performed on even or uneven surfaces, which may be wet or dry. Outdoor duties may be performed on surfaces such as concrete, asphalt, natural ground, ice, snow or gravel.
- Indoor duties are performed on even surfaces, which may be carpet, tile, or concrete, and may be either wet or dry.
- Works alone primarily, with or without directions. Works with a group at times and with a select team at times.
- Work hazards or potential work hazards include the use of vehicles, ladders, stairs, solvents, chemical fire retardants, electricity and toxins (mold, asbestos, and lead).
- Employs safety equipment which includes but is not limited to: safety glasses, respiratory protective equipment, hard hat and other preventative equipment.
- Telephone, typewriter, calculator, computer, fax machine, and copy machine are used in performance of essential job duties.
- Various forms of paperwork are handled in performance of essential job duties.
- Safety equipment and vehicles are used in the performance of duties.
COUNTY OF BERNALILLO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Supplemental: Life Insurance
Flexible Spending Account
Long/Short Term Disability
Fringe Benefits: Retirement Plan
Personal Holiday Leave
Employee Assistance Plan
For additional benefit information go to: