New job CHIEF OF STAFF in Rhode Island
CHIEF OF STAFF
Company : State of Rhode Island
Salary : $95,642 - $111,056 a year
Location : Rhode Island
The Chief of Staff will partner with the Director of Administration in the oversight of the operations of the Office of the Director. The Chief of Staff will assist the Director of Administration and Deputy Director in planning, coordinating, implementing and controlling the functions of the various divisions and projects within the department; oversee legislative relations functions; serve as the department's point of contact for the Governor's Office and other government agencies; serve as the Department's designee on boards and commissions; represent the director and/or deputy director at meetings and/or conferences; advise the director on executive, legislative and policy decisions; and do other work as assigned to support the Governor's and Department's strategic priorities.
The Chief of Staff reports to the Director (DOA) with wide latitude to exercise independent judgement and initiative; subject to applicable laws, regulations and department policies.
Provides oversight and guidance to the Department's senior management team on behalf of the director, i.e. ensures individual and group performance is consistent with the department's objectives, priorities and work plans, and consistent with the director's directions and assignments. Assumes team or project leadership as assigned by the director.
- To assist the Director of the Department of Administration and, at the discretion of the Director, the Deputy Director in planning, coordinating, implementing and controlling the functions of the various offices within the Department
- To respond to inquiries from the Governor's office and other agency heads
- To oversee legislative relations functions
- To communicate and track compliance with the director's directives
- To assist in leading the strategic planning efforts of the Department of Administration
- To assist in establishing policy and program priorities in relation to short- and long-range goals and objectives
- To oversee the planning, coordination and implementation of department-wide initiatives
- To serve as the Department's designee on boards and commissions
- To represent the director and/or, at the discretion of the director, the deputy director at meetings and conferences
- To advise the Director on executive, legislative and policy decisions
- To be responsible for keeping senior staff within the Department of Administration informed of the Director's decisions and recommendations on programs and policies
- To contact such staff at frequent intervals to ascertain the actions taken relative to such decisions
- To establish and maintain effective working relations with and among departmental staff
- To do other related work as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND CAPACITIES:
A thorough knowledge of state government as well as departmental principles, practices and procedures and the ability to apply such principles and practices in the direction and supervision of various administrative and supportive services; a working knowledge of the laws and regulations administered by the department and regulating the department and the ability to apply such knowledge; the ability to meet and work effectively with Federal, State, and Local Officials, as well as with the general public; outstanding communications skills; and related capacities and abilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field from a college of recognized standing with a degree; and
- A thorough knowledge of modern principles, practices, procedures and techniques in the field of public administration as well as the ability to apply such principles; and
- Experience that may have been gained through employment in a highly responsible, high level managerial or policy position in a public agency or elected office; and
- The ability to cooperate with and obtain the cooperation of state officials, departmental staff and the public;
- Consideration will be given to any combination of education and experience that shall be substantially equivalent to the above education and experience