New job Business & Employment Specialist in Astoria, OR 97103
Business & Employment Specialist
Company : Employment Department
Salary : $3,080 - $4,649 a month
Location : Astoria, OR 97103
Initial Posting Date:04/02/2021
Salary Range:3,080.00 - 4,649.00
Position Title:Business & Employment Specialist
Looking to find a job that allows you to use your skills to help people find their dream job? We need you! We help Oregonians hone their job seeking skills to find jobs. We help Oregon businesses find the talent needed to be successful. Be part of our team and apply today.
Every employee at the Employment Department is passionate about serving Oregonians and Oregon businesses. If you feel inspired and motivated by our mission, vision, and values, we invite you to join us in exceeding our customers’ expectations!
- Our mission: to support business and promote employment. We do this by providing stability for Oregonians and communities during times of unemployment, by helping businesses find great workers and job seekers find employment, and by providing workforce and economic information to promote informed decision making.
- Our vision: an Oregon where meaningful work enables the state’s diverse people and businesses to realize their full potential, creating prosperity in every community.
- Our values: Integrity - We are trusted to keep our word, always acting with honesty and courage. Respect - We value diverse perspectives, assume good intent, and act with compassion. Community - We foster a sense of belonging for our employees, partners, and customers, creating positive impacts where we live and work.
What you will be doing!
You will provide services to Oregonians by providing high-quality services to individuals and employers seeking assistance from WorkSource (WSO) center. Services provided may include Exploratory, Career, Training and/or Business Services. In this role you will:
- Provide a customized one-on-one conversation to customers; review, assist with, or conduct basic registration; gather necessary information to determine customer needs
- Provide referrals to community resources and supportive service agencies for needed services and/or technical assistance as appropriate
- Interview a high volume of job seekers; determine job seeker's transferable skills, interests, and employment goals. Identify barriers to successful job search and explore possible solutions to remove the barriers
- Assist with application processes, documentation, and effective interviewing techniques. Gain and maintain familiarity with local employment needs in order to provide relevant job search support and assistance to jobseekers
- Make work-based opportunities available to customers in accordance with local area plans and investment strategies. Pursue On-The-Job Training (OJT) opportunities with employers and make appropriate OJT-related referrals for work-ready jobseekers
- Conduct staff-assisted talent development workshops to teach essential skills for work readiness. Refer customers to attend talent development workshops and activities so they have the materials and skills to be successful during job interviews
- Offer comprehensive business services through WSO centers that are aligned with local sector strategies and investment priorities
What’s in it for you!
- A workplace that balances productivity with enjoyment, and encourages learning and mentoring.
- Rewarding work in a fast-paced, creative environment with colleagues who are passionate about public service.
- A workplace that fosters fairness, equity, and inclusion to maintain a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, veteran status, disability, or status as a victim of domestic violence, harassment, sexual assault, or stalking. This policy applies to every aspect of our employment practices, including recruitment, hiring, retention, promotion, and training.
- Work/life balance, 10 paid holidays a year, and a competitive benefits package
What we are looking for !
- Responsibility: Demonstrated responsibility for your own actions and a commitment to performing assigned tasks. Ability to comply with requirements regarding sensitive and confidential data.
- Multi-tasking: Ability to attend to multiple tasks simultaneously and enthusiastically, deliver high quality work on time, and remain productive and calm in pressured environments.
- Willingness to Learn: Demonstrated ability of being open to new experiences, seeking both positive and negative feedback, looking back on past experiences and considering alternate courses of action, and finding patterns and order in complex information.
- Customer Focus: Ability to professionally interact with a high volume of diverse customers providing service that exceeds the customers’ expectations.
- Adaptability and Resilience: Ability to be comfortable with changing or uncertain environments. Ability to remain professional, calm and adapt communication style with diverse customer needs or customers that are frustrated, upset or critical.
- Working with Information: Ability to efficiently and effectively use data, critical thinking, and analytical reasoning to gather information and apply laws, rules and polices to solve problems and make decisions.
- Commitment to valuing diversity and promoting inclusion
- Required Minimum Qualifications: Qualified candidates will have a minimum of two years of full-time heavy public-contact experience asking people for information, making notes, and deciding an action based on the information; OR, two years of education or experience. Listed above are examples of acceptable experience. 45-quarter (30-semester) college-level credits in Human Resources, Vocational or Career Counseling, Social Services, Psychology, Education, Business or Public Administration, Communication or related field substitute for one year of experience.
Important-SHL Assessment- In addition to your related work experience and education, candidates who meet minimum qualifications will be required to complete an online assessment to determine whom to interview. Please make sure the minimum qualifications you have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be evaluated on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
How to Apply :
- External Applicants: Click on the “Apply” link above to fill out the online application and submit by the posted closing date. Please use the name you want us to address you by. You can upload your resume and the system will parse your information into the application.
- Current State of Oregon employees (this includes temporary employees) must apply through your employee Workday account.
- Warning! The system will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity. You must submit your application after you begin the process. You cannot save your progress and come back to it later.
- Important : Please monitor both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment. You may be asked to submit additional information and complete an online assessment after initial application.
- T his position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU). This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies as they occur.
- This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies as they occur.
- The salary listed is the non-PERS qualifying salary range. If the successful candidate is PERS qualifying, the salary range will reflect the additional 6.95%. Please review the Classification and Compensation
- page for more details, or you may visit our website for information on Pay Equity.
Remote Work Information:
Staff may be approved for remote work on either full-time or part-time (flexible) basis. The hardware requirements for each case are slightly different. OED IT Services will provide the necessary equipment to all users who are approved for remote work. In order to qualify for remote work, a staff member must:
- Demonstrate they have access to a broadband internet connection that meets or exceeds the minimum acceptable requirements;
- Have a private workspace
- Be in good standing (i.e. no performance or attendance issues)
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must complete the required Task that will be sent to your Workday account after successfully submitting your application. This Task will prompt you to provide the appropriate documentation. Please visit: Veterans Resources for additional information on required documentation.
Equity and Inclusion:
We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to maintain a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, veteran status, disability, or status as a victim of domestic violence, harassment, sexual assault, or stalking. This policy applies to every aspect of our employment practices, including recruitment, hiring, retention, promotion, and training.
- View guidance our hiring managers use at the following website: View Equity and Inclusion Questions Used During Recruitments .
- Please read more about our Gender Identity and Expression Procedure !
Criminal Records Check:
The Employment Department is committed to being a leader in providing its employees with fair and equal employment opportunities and recognizes that as a best practice in equity and inclusion, criminal background check policies shall be job related and consistent with business necessity. The agency will only consider information from the past four years (starting from the date of the arrest) for nonviolent offenses and the past seven years for violent offenses when conducting its own criminal records checks pursuant to Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) 125-007-0200 through 125-007-0330. For positions with authorized access to FBI Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) information, a separate criminal records check is conducted by the Oregon State Police. If you would like further information on how each criminal records check is conducted, please read our Criminal Records Check Policy or contact us at the number below with any questions.
Contact Information and Helpful Links:
- If you have questions about the job announcement or need an alternate format to apply, please contact us at 503-947-1289; OEDHR.OED_INFO_OEDHR@oregon.gov . Please be sure to include the job announcement number.
- Understanding the State Application Process: https://www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/support.aspx
- Reasonable Accommodations: https://www.oregon.gov/employ/Agency/Pages/Reasonable-Accommodation.aspx
- Resources for Job Seekers: https://www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/index.aspx
- SHL Online Assessment: If you experience any technical difficulties accessing or taking the SHL Assessment, please contact SHL by submitting an online request for assistance. To submit an online request for SHL technical support, please You will then need to select the issue you need assistance with and submit an assistance request form. You may also call SHL for support (800).899.7451 (option 1).
- If you have any questions about the SHL Online Assessment, please read our FAQ document .