New job Administrative Support Assistant (OA) in Hawaii
Administrative Support Assistant (OA)
Company : US Department of the Navy
Salary : $45,037 - $58,602 a year
Location : Hawaii
This position is located in the Military and Family Support Center (MFSC), Joint Base Pearl Harbor – Hickam, Navy Region Hawaii. The primary purpose of this position is to provide a wide range of support and assistance that is in direct support of programs, administrative and management functions within the MFSC. Additionally, the employee delivers information and referral services to clients visiting or calling the MFSC.
Major Duties and Responsibilites:
- Serves as MFSC Customer Service Desk Representative.
- Greets visitors, receives telephone calls, and ascertains the nature of the visit or calls in a professional, respectful manner.
- Refers telephone calls and visitors to appropriate staff or office based upon knowledge of the organization and its programs and operations.
- Answers substantive requests for information, which can be provided based on information from records and files or personal knowledge of services available.
- Locates and selects appropriate references and procedures for application to specific questions. When unable to locate information or cannot answer questions, refers caller/visitor to a staff member.
- Greets walk-in clients and provides assistance with completing necessary paperwork prior to meeting with counselors and other MFSC staff.
- Schedules and confirms appointments as needed and registers personnel for MFSC classes, confirms class roster and provides final roster to class facilitator.
- Checks in personnel to the Client Resource Center (CRC) and provides assistance on available computer programs located within the CRC.
- Coordinates with appropriate IT resource to resolve any CRC equipment issues.
- Maintains database with walk-ins, call-in client statistics and provides data for monthly, quarterly, etc., reports.
- Maintains an updated and detailed information, services and activities available on installation and in the local community (including both State and federal) which support and enrich the quality of life for individuals and families.
- Conducts follow-up to ensure inquirer’s needs are met, either by the employee and/or other offices/agencies to whom the inquirer was referred.
- Maintains detailed records regarding feedback received in order to evaluate the effectiveness of referrals and assistance provided.
- Proofreads and edits materials prepared by self and other MFSC staff to ensure correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and compliance with the Navy Correspondence Manual and Command policy.
- Establishes and/or monitors suspense dates, updates correspondence log, prepares routing sheets, tracks items through the routing process, and upon signature, makes appropriate distribution.
- Researches, collects and consolidates information for various reports in accordance with established procedures or as directed by the supervisor.
- Provides advice and guidance to other MFSC staff on administrative policies and procedural requirements, and assists in solving problems where existing guidelines can be applied.
- Assists in organizing, preparing, editing, proofreading and distributing a variety of MFSC marketing materials including but not limited to news articles, flyers, brochures and the monthly class calendar.
- Duplicates and assembles informational and educational materials in support of MFSC programs.
- Picks up, delivers and distributes mail including but not limited to incoming and outgoing correspondence, publications, regulations, and directives.
- Independently screens and routes materials, bringing only unusual items to the attention of the supervisor.
- Assists MFSC staff with coordination of meetings.
- Assists MFSC staff and External Customers with reserving classrooms using the MFSC master class calendar.
- Uses multiple office automation software with varied functions to produce a wide range of documents, such as graphics or tables within text, editing and reformatting electronic drafts, and updating or revising existing databases or spreadsheets.
- Independently plans and performs complex office automation duties requiring different approaches and methods from one assignment to another, such as using different packages to: edit lengthy and complicated reports; collect, select, organize, and provide information; track the status of a number of projects assigned to the organization; and resolve incompatibility problems in transferring text from software package to another when menu options and specific software instructions are not available.
- Uses word processing software to create, copy, edit, store, retrieve, and print forms, memos, and letters; uses database or spreadsheet software to create, enter, revise, sort or calculate, and retrieve data for reports; and uses graphic software to provide graphs and charts for reports and presentations.
- Prepares supply requisitions, monitors status of active requests, coordinates delivery and distribution of materials, and follows up on discrepancies.
- Establishes and maintains files of requisitions and supporting documentation to ensure that all requested items are properly received and accounted for, and that all required follow-up actions are completed.
- Monitors inventory levels of office supplies, requisitions supplies and replenishes items as needed.
- Keeps supervisor informed of order status and possible conflicts.
- Functions as MFSC purchase card holder, if appointed.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel of less than 10% may be required.
Job family (Series)
0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Conditions of Employment
- You must go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9
- Must successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of employment
- Must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or U.S. National
- Must have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer
- A valid State driver's license is required to operate motor vehicles
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of the MFSC mission, functions, and programs, and of the policies, regulations, procedures, and reporting requirements governing those programs.
- Knowledge of the military lifestyle, the unique challenges faced by service members and their families, and the array of services available to address those issues.
- Knowledge of social service programs and agencies in the military and civilian sector, including policies, practices and interrelationships.
- Skill in communicating with clients to obtain factual information and explain regulations and agency procedures and other organizations involved.
- Skill in drawing out and organizing relevant information from persons who are often unaware of legal and procedural requirements.
- Proficiency in grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and professional correspondence format to prepare and edit written correspondence and reports.
- Knowledge of administrative practices and procedures common to organizations such as those pertaining to areas of responsibility; channels of communication; delegation of authority; preparation and routing of correspondence; mail distribution; filing systems; and requisition/receipt of supplies and services
- Knowledge of the Government Purchase Card Program, purchase card standard operating procedures and automated accounting systems.
- Knowledge of various office automation software (word processing, spreadsheet, database, graphics, etc.) to produce a wide range of documents that often involve complex formats or extensive editing, or to perform data entry, manipulation and retrieval.
- Knowledge of the nature and capability of different software packages and the integration compatibilities among different software types.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work is sedentary in nature.
Work is performed in a normal office setting.
Must have or be able to obtain and maintain a secret security clearance.
Must possess a valid driver’s license in order to drive a government vehicle or a privately owned vehicle (POV).
Must be a qualified typist. (Able to type 40 words per minute on a five minute timed writing with three or fewer errors.)
Occasional travel of less than 10% may be required.
Hours of duty may vary and some evening or weekend work may be required.
In cases of emergency situations involving military families, incumbent may be put on a twenty – four hour, seven day a week on-call status. (Situations will be determined by higher authority as to determination of an emergency but in most cases would be natural disaster or disaster at sea to ships and/or planes home-ported in Hawaii.)
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Using the qualifications of the positions, a predetermined Ranking and Rating Criteria of knowledge, skills and abilities will be used for each application. Applicants who do not meet the qualifications required will not be interviewed and interviews may be limited to best qualified applicants.
Management reserves the right to consider and make additional hiring selections, for this specific position, from the certified list of eligible candidates within 90 days of the closing date of this job announcement.
Click the following link to preview the applicant questionnaire: Preview Applicant Questionnaire.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- A cover letter may be provided to introduce your skills and goals associated with this application.
- A resume should be provided. It should include relevant work experience (start/end dates stated in month/year, description of duties and salary), applicable education at a minimum, and your contact information. For current or previous Federal employees, it should also include the Pay Plan, Series and Grade for each work experience entry.
- For current or previous Federal employees, please attach a copy of your most recent SF-50 or agency notification of personnel action form that provides current position, grade level, and duty location.
- Please provide a copy of your College transcript(s) which support those qualifications for which you wish to have considered.
- Resume (required)
- Completed Declaration for Federal Employment form. Click here for the form: OF 306 - Declaration for Federal Employment, (required)
- Proof of Education - High School Diploma or higher education College and/or University Transcripts (required) Note: U-Transcript upload includes High School Diploma document.
- Two Letters of Recommendation documents (required)
If claiming Veteran’s Preference, a legible copy of DD-214 Page 4 is required, showing reason for discharge and re-entry codesas well as any other supporting documentation (disability, proof of service, SF-15, etc). is required.
If claiming Military Spouse Preference, a copy of sponsor's orders is required for NF-03 and below or equivalent. MSP: 1. The MSP Certification Form must be completed and attached to application at time of submission. 2. Military Spousal Preference applies to all positions in pay bands NF 1-3, CY positions, and equivalent Crafts and Trades position for which qualified. Military Spousal Preference (MSP) Form and Military Orders (Dept. of Navy Page 2).
Last Personnel Action Report (PAR) or SF-50, if applicable
If claiming Department of Defense (DOD) Non-appropriated Fund (NAF) Business Based Action (BBA) Priority consideration, submit a copy of the notice of separation.
If you are a current federal employee, submit your most recent Personnel Action Report (PAR) or SF-50.
A selection may be made from the resumes/applications received at the first cut-off date. Some positions have special requirements. Selection may be tentative pending the completion of the satisfactory employment reference checks and receipt of proof of education (where applicable).
Selectee may be required to complete a one (1) year probationary period. Salary is commensurate with experience and/or education.
Reasonable accommodations are provided to applicants with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Human Resources Manager at (808) 422-3784. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case by case basis.
All required documents submitted for this position must indicate the announcement number, position title and full name of the applicant on each document.
Condition of employment: selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer within the first 30 days of employment. This is the DoD standard methods of payment of personnel.
All positions require a satisfactory completion of a National Agency Check (NAC) or equivalent background check.
We are an E-Verify participant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
We value our employees and considers them to be the greatest asset of our organization. As an employer of choice, we are committed to attracting and retaining the "best of the best" by providing comprehensive benefits that are a valuable part of the total compensation package. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, life insurance, spouse and dependent life insurance, long-term disability, retirement and 401(k) savings plans, paid vacation and sick time.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.